Those F****G paper-clips in Outlook Express! Help

Dr. Mac

Hello folks

This is not one of those life and death situations, but it is still extremely frustrating! Can't find any answers on the Microsoft support sites.

I have a freind who has never used Outlook Express before on her PC. She has always used Yahoo webmail.

Well, thew other day I showed her how to use O.E. I configured her e-mail accout, username, password etc in OE (version 6, from IE 6 SP1) and it wroks a treat. In now time she was composing and sending e-mails and downloading them.

BUT ... all the e-mails downloaded show that little paper-clip icon AS IF they ALL had an attachment! Which they do NOT.

So, the story is those few e-mails that DO have an attachment show the little papart-clip sign correctly. BUt all the other mails that do NOT arrive with an attachment ALSO dispaly the paper-clip AS IF they has an attachement (which they do NOT)

Has anybody every heard of this before?

Any suggestions ... PLEASE!

Thanks folks.

Dr. Mac

Thank you very much guys.

Yes ... she IS using AVG (but so am I and I don't get that) But I will still check on the AVG settings ... I know there is a setting to CHECK incoming mail AND also to certify it. Maybe if that is checked, it should be unchecked.

Also, I'll go check those security setting as well - thanks for the suggestion.

The problem is that although all those papr-clip thingies appear in the top panel of Outlook Express, the mails do NOT have ANY attachemnts attached to them at all.

Dr. Mac

Thank you very much guys.

Yes ... she IS using AVG (but so am I and I don't get that) But I will still check on the AVG settings ... I know there is a setting to CHECK incoming mail AND also to certify it. Maybe if that is checked, it should be unchecked.

Also, I'll go check those security setting as well - thanks for the suggestion.

The problem is that although all those papr-clip thingies appear in the top panel of Outlook Express, the mails do NOT have ANY attachemnts attached to them at all.

Dr. Mac

Yeah, and besides that, O.E. will put a paper clip on any HtML eMail.

Don't worry about it....OK? It really ain't no big deal. Just one of life's little quirks.

Cheers!

Andromeda43 B)