Pick First Install Later HELP!

I can run your WPI using my StartWPI detached (just after text mode setup)

but I want to not start the install straight away (as a lot of my programs require the first GUI setup reboot (pre login) runonce to install and be fully registered (dll etc) as well as Shortcuts etc

Is it possiable to call up the installer from runonce (as I know it already handles reboot) coudn't I somehow Turn off the reboot bit (so first windows setup reboots itself) and then using runonceex to call the installer to continue from the start???

Just thought if your program could generate the script (store it on the HDD) for install at later time. . .

the reasons for this also. . . are I am sick of waiting around to catch the selection screen (as When I do want to turn somthing off). . . I'd like to pick them straight away (then have a coffee and a chat) then go back to a completed install on the desktop screen (with your second WPI (no time out) with post options (works nicley)))!!

Thanks for all the work. . . Glad you like some of my previous ideas (I think outside the box. . . Clostraphobia!!)

Read bottom post please!

Edited by nightwolf81

Ok as no ones shown interest/idea of how to do this I'll post my own findings on here when I get to my WPI again (Just building up my new Switchlessesssesssssesss) then I'll find a way to get it to delay the installation till it's called apon!!!! AND I WILL!!!

Rightto I'd better go!!

I've Got a trick up my sleave but the Resume After reboot is saying somthing about script error do I want to continue (I haven't touched the scripts . . . v5.5). Is anyone else having troubles with reboot / continue script problems with v5.5???

Anyhow heres how I've done it. . .

1. Add the attached file to your install path.

2. Run WPI and go into config.

3. Add new Item called Delayed Install and pick items Catagory as other. . .call it AA Delayed Launch

4. Set the items install order to 1 (make sure it's the first number in your order)!!

5. Save and it is done!

What this wait.exe attachment does is hides the installer window and then waits (until reboot). . . Luckly the installer backs up it's current possition and is ment to continue after reboot (which it did but script errors)!!

A little more help and I could be updating the wait.exe so it can be an option of the wpi (mabey without having to add the item at all (perhaps a tickbox in the options screen)!!

OK what next????

Wait.exe

I'm not sure I quite understand what you are trying to do. You basically want to delay the reboot for an infinite amount of time until the user manually reboots and then have the installer pick up where it left off? If so, I may have a better solution that I could incorporate into WPI.

The reboot code changed slightly in 5.5 but if I understand what this wait.exe does correctly it should not cause any problems.

I'm not sure I quite understand what you are trying to do. You basically want to delay the reboot for an infinite amount of time until the user manually reboots and then have the installer pick up where it left off? If so, I may have a better solution that I could incorporate into WPI.

The reboot code changed slightly in 5.5 but if I understand what this wait.exe does correctly it should not cause any problems.

All I am trying to do is to execute the WPI.HTA prior to the first reboot (as I've recentally discovered mshta.exe doesn't work without IE6 fully installed) so there goes that Idea. . .

I was hoping I could find out the dependancies and have the WPI selector come up whilst the Bashrat drivers are installing (and after). . . by modifiying the presetup.cmd that he uses. to say 'start wpicall.cmd' which works but the WPI will never come up. I also discovered I can't use my personal installer as I am using GDI+ to do transparency for my theme etc!!

SOOOOO what I've done now. . . Is left it as it was (WORKING)!!!! pitty about the 4 - 5 minutes for the bash rat but atleast I've got a background picture instead of blackness!! Mabey one day I'll figure the rest out and post a addon.

Oh by the way. . . what would the better way be??? and could it still hide the Installer (so Windows setup can do it's thing)!!

k I'd better go finnish some other stuff now!

The better way would be to write a command into WPI to exit WPI gracefully and still save the reboot information. Something like a %MANUAL_REBOOT% command that would exit WPI but still maintain the installation list and other reboot information.

That would be the way that I would do it. I wrote the reboot code so it would be easy for me to make sure that all the reboot information is kept.

If you would like, I can write this functionality and pass it on to @mritter. Although, as you said WPI is not going to work without IE fully installed, so I don't know if its worth implementing or not.

I registered mshtml.dll and was able to get a white screen. . . it's a start but I think it's out of my legue. . . I even searched around for a linux or other replacement to mshta.exe but nothing worked that I've found so far!!

I feel dirty I said linux. . . .errrrr I said it again!!! (I like the Idea of it but hate the whole not able to double click somthing to run it. . . I'll stay with dos if I want a command line)!! lol

anyway I think I'll halt my attempts to run the WPI.hta from driverpack and attempt to finnish my config.js installer I made to get my 400 games menu loading really fast (wasn't gonna do that again. . . was quicker to parse existing config.js) now it is a basic VB6 application capable of doing some of the stuff WPI does (only create the interface a lot quicker for large item count)!! I might append it here once I am happy some one else might want or need it and I've gotten a few more bugs worked out!!! :)

• 1 month later...

night wolf, I think I get what you are trying to do and it is something that I see the build disk at my company evolving to.

Am I correct in saying that you want to choose what software/registry tweaks etc you want to apply/install right at the beginning of the Windows installation?

If so, this is my idea

1. Boot off a Windows PE CD that has HTA and WSH support

2. A disk Part script launches. It would be good if a hta file could come up asking if they want to partition the drive automatically or manually. if auto, then C drive takes up whole drive, if manual, engineer enters info.

3. Drive is formatted

4. Another HTA comes up with check boxes similar to WPI, then these selections are stored within a text file on the HDD that WPI/a VBscript can read from at RunOnceEx and add the command lines to RunOnceEx process.

This process would ensure that all the questions are at the start of the Windows setup, so as you say, you can answer the questions, press apply and go and have a cuppa and put your feet up.

Now I know this post may be going away from WPI, but it might also be something that WPI can incorporate as the Windows PE cd can have hta support.

Don't flame me guys for the above. It is just a spec of an idea in my head at the moment, any other opinions/suggestions are welcome.

I have an even easier Idea but it is a far away from WPIw as I would like to admit.

I have written a VB6 equivalent to WPIw that loads faster and runs on the GUI part of the text mode setup. It uses the config.js from WPIw (as I just made it to test the concept of using the wasted time during windows install to select the applications you want after the install (works perfect). . . I was hoping to get some time to learn how the installer.hta is called after a reboot to make it use this to actually install the items but I have yet to find the time to do this). MSHTA isn't too bad but the dependancies are a pain in the. . . Well you can see where I am going and I am best to keep this project under wraps until I can offer the community somthing a little more than TALK. as it seams I am not the only person to notice that the GUI part of the windows setup is a waste of time (Will be nice to have something better that reading them stupid microsoft WindowsXP is blah blah blah. . . I got my Games quicklauncher that makes it slightly more interesting but I would rather have it constructive time instead).

Anyone else here know some vb6 and want's my code just PM me and I'll send it to you (I am still VERY busy and don't have time to play).

Nightwolf81