Question regarding P4 Sockets

mickro71

I have both a 775 and a 478. The 775 only provides a 533 bus speed, while the 478 has 800 and hyperthreading. Chip speeds are relatively the same. My question is this: which would provide the best speeds for graphic intensive computing, or is their really much difference between the sockets at all except for pci-x?

Socket 775 has up to a 1066FSB as far as I know. I'm not sure where you heard that from. 478 is an older standard. Therefore I would recommend socket 775, or T to you.

not all processors are equal.

the socket 775 is technically newer and 'faster' but i'd pick hyperthreading over it, so its all in what you want, new or hyperthreading.

The socket 775 motherboard in an Intel915gav. In that pc i have 2 250gb s-ata drives, 2 gb memory, x700 video card. The 478 is an Asus P4P800-E with 1 160gb s-ata drive, and a 120gb ide drive, 1 gb of memory and an ATI 9800 pro. Like I said, the cpu's are comparable in speed and cache. I plan on selling the other and adding to the one I keep.

I use mostly adobe products but am also using 3ds and flash.

Budget isn't a problem. Patience with the industry is. For a few years i played the game with the Jones's and got real tired of forking out money for what essentially meant top of the line for this month, so I will be keeping what I have, just not both.

Thanks for the replies so far.

Edit- Ringfinger- I realize that but I was referring to what the motherboard and cpu for that specific setup offered.

Edited by mickro71

You can get an Asus P5P800SE, it's basically the same as your P4P800 except for the socket (775).

The Intel-produced mobos aren't known for high performance nor configurability.

Edited by LLXX