Anti Virus Software

Can we talk anti-virus software? I'm currently running Symantec AntiVirus version 9.0.0.338, and an online scanner found a bunch of viruses. Before I was running Norton, and the auto protection was always finding stuff. It seems like this version isn't working as well as it should. Can anyone walk me through this?

Kaspersky Anti-Virus (not talking about KIS, Kaspersky Internet Security) is by far the best.

It uses waaay less resources, this has been tested over and over again, latest I read was in CHIP magazine.

They were suprised about the memory usage of some other AV software like F-Secure wich uses more then 60 MB.

Not only that, Kaspersky works fast, is one of the few best at finding dangerous stuff and it has an easy interface.

The free AVG I don't like it's interface, KAV is a lot more user-friendly.

You can download full version of KAV directly from their website (not the demo download). then you only need to get a license key.

i'll have to check into it when i get my bills paid off, but yeah, it said symantec is using like 50,000 kb amongst all it's services being ran. Also, I thought it was viruses I had, but it was spyware. My adaware program wasn't the current version, and it wasn't updating properly from the site, so it wasn't scanning properly. does everyone really hate symantec this much? the only reason i do is because every time i load the anti virus i pay 50 bucks for a year it tells me i have to buy a new version!

Yes, Kasp and NOD32 are the best of them all, clearly, but some people want freeware, which is why I suggested Avast.

@DigeratiPrime, I just reformatted and installed Kaspersky and it says the license key expires April of next year. AOL? :realmad:

www.av-comparatives.org

that's the same problem i get with Norton. Maybe I will just call them. Did you read what I wrote before when I wrote that on the website it says tht Avast is a 60 day trial? Did I read it wrong, and which version do you download that is free?

Edited by smithxi

Yeah you read it wrong.

They give you a 60 day trial, then you register and get a free code.

avast! Home Edition is now free of charge for HOME users for NON-COMMERCIAL use.

avast! 4 Home Edition works for 60 days after the installation in demo mode. You will obtain your FREE license key by E-mail after the registration. The license key is valid for 1 year. After one year you will need to just re-register.

Like most said kaspersky's pretty good. Very thorough (especially the scanning inside archives part) and catches pretty much everything, but a little high on the resource usage for my taste though. I used it for a while (even though I didn't like the NTFS streams it adds to every file) until I ran into some problems (the service using up 99% CPU for no apparent reason). Since then I've switched to NOD32, which is nearly as good (more than good enough), but much lighter on system resources, not more false positives than kaspersky, and hasn't bugged on me yet. Well priced and all.

Avast (free) is still good enough. Pretty good on system resources. It'll catch most viruses you throw at it. For everyday use by the somewhat cautious person (won't open .jpg.exe attachments in email and stuff like that), it should do the trick, and the price is right. I haven't catched a virus in years, and if I was exposed to one, likely this would have done the trick just fine. Something that will positively catch every single "exotic" virus is unecessary in most cases.

Cmon guys.this threat should be stopped somewhere.we disscused av's and firewalls for so long on http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=70783

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=70782

everyone have diffrent experiences with firewalls and av's.but all we can trust is the numbers that websites like http://www.av-comparatives.org/ gives us.this threat will never end.

BTW if your av doesnt catch a virus and the other one does,doesnt mean that the first one cant.MAYBE YOU DIDNT CONFIGURE IT RIGHT!!!