Windows Vista RC2

kartel

well that enabled it on my ati 9800 pro for me, back in the day when it was called longhorn.

but, civiliation 4 1.61, (patched to run in vista) causes the computer to crash just like windows xp. too bad was hopin to play that game haha.

did you upgrade from rc1 to rc2?

or did you do a clean install?

rc2 added the ability to run counter strike source through steam :D

runs really well for being dx10 and this aero interface thing.

cant wait for sli now.

but that aero interface thing, causes wierd blinking ground in some lvls, and in some option screens.

thats the biggest issue I see so far, is with areo coming though in games using IE core

Edited by gdogg

I have just noticed that I can no longer run Vista Aero theme at my IBM R52 laptop, and I could do that with earlier betas.. :realmad:

***TRY THIS***

1) Updating the windows experience index and then restarting Aero

2) If you have a nvidia graphics card, update it, NOT over the internet!, then update it to

geforce Go 7900 GS (microsoft corporation -WDDM) from the computer it self. and then

refresh you rating and then restart.

3) Ok a fix has been posted on the shellrevealed forums :

It seems that it is a known issue happening when you have only 512mo of RAM and will

be fix in RTM. During this time here's a workaround :

A. Ensure that you have the following registry value set to :

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\DWM\Composition set to 1 (32-bit DWORD)

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\DWM\CompositionPolicy set to 2 (32-bit DWORD)

B. Restart DWM by opening a command prompt with administrative privileges :

- Type 'net stop uxsms'

- Then 'net start uxsms'

Some Peolpe With 1 GB of ram didn't have aero either. But updating the score on Thier computer

fixed it. So my guess is people with over 512 mb of ram might be able to use the score

update fix. People with 512mb ram should try the fix In Step #3

Edited by reff67

I can now confirm, using the M$ built in drivers, with rc2, and the control panel from nvidia rc1 forceware, that SLI is enabled, and probbally has been since rc1.

Its just hidden from the user now.

In atitool, I get the same FPS in vista as I do in windows xp with sli split frame rendering enabled.

found under nvidia control panel / program settings

find the game, look for sli performance mode.

opengl games seem to be forced slip frame rendering, where DX games, just use NVIDIA Recommended SLI

3dmark05 dont show the sli being enabled at all, and shows that the default type is alternate frame rendering, and with no option in addition direct3d settings under performance and quality settings (classic control panel). of max frames to render ahead like in xp (default of 3) it cant alternate frames, cause it can produce 0 frames ahead of time.

found the registry key for windows its

D3D_98764205 . but that value isn't in the vista drivers, and adding it didn't help

I will try to edit existing keys now

until sli looks as if its workin in 3dmark05

Edited by gdogg

I formatted RC1 and did a clean install of RC2.

I now can choose my desktop area: 1152x864

Avg free is longer a option, it wont install.

My sound options work, a little better, but not much

My Logitech quick cam wont work now and MS isnt offering a update for some reason

I noticed 5 or 6 new services that I have no clue about, let alone half the others which I have no clue.

I like Vista, and I love the fact I got it free, thanks to the heads up on this forum.

I dont trust Vista, or XP, I still prefer 98SE

Vista makes my computer look like a fool......2 Gigs of ram is the mininum I'd say.

Been killing left and right on halo, no crash, havent tested all but GTA VC and SA look killer.

Ram still OK at 2-3-3-6

http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc.php?id=128288

***Dont forget to update your DX10 via DX end user update, you'll need those old files for your games

vistascreen064hx8.gif

Edited by xper

1) Updating the windows experience index and then restarting Aero

:blink: How should I do that?

A. Ensure that you have the following registry value set to :

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\DWM\Composition set to 1 (32-bit DWORD)

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\DWM\CompositionPolicy set to 2 (32-bit DWORD)

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\DWM\Composition set to 1 (32-bit DWORD) - Seems I can't find this key, it doesn't exist in this path..

[HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\DWM\CompositionPolicy set to 2 (32-bit DWORD) - I've changed this and after restart Aero was enabled and selectable in display properties..

B. Restart DWM by opening a command prompt with administrative privileges :

- Type 'net stop uxsms'

- Then 'net start uxsms'

I restarted the computer instead.. :)

Thx for this solution..

I've so far been able to just do a straight upgrade from Beta 2 to RC1 Build5600 to RC1 Build 5728 to RC2 Build 5744

All of which were successful, when the final release hits though I'm going to do a clean install. Also, after the upgrade from Build 5600 to 5728 I noticed that my games have not all been playing properly, with some minor glitching occuring here and there, tough to describe, but a noticeable decrease in performance due to this glitching. As of build 5744 I've gotten some graphical glitching issues which had been fixed in the release of 5600, however it was fixed by upgrading my ATi drivers, which I suspect will be the same solution here.

Most of my current issues are all driver related, as it will be for many people.

I want my 5.1 surround sound :(

your gonna have to tell us what soundcard your using, if you want any attempt of help with your sound.

or your motherboard if onboard

with nforce audio codec, rc1 forceware works, to get the 7.1 5.1 4.1 2.0 and stop crashing where windows update drivers caused crashing and 2 channel only.

Edited by gdogg

I've so far been able to just do a straight upgrade from Beta 2 to RC1 Build5600 to RC1 Build 5728 to RC2 Build 5744

All of which were successful, when the final release hits though I'm going to do a clean install. Also, after the upgrade from Build 5600 to 5728 I noticed that my games have not all been playing properly, with some minor glitching occuring here and there, tough to describe, but a noticeable decrease in performance due to this glitching. As of build 5744 I've gotten some graphical glitching issues which had been fixed in the release of 5600, however it was fixed by upgrading my ATi drivers, which I suspect will be the same solution here.

Most of my current issues are all driver related, as it will be for many people.

I want my 5.1 surround sound :(

:) let me guess.. creative user right? :) they still don't have their act together for sound drivers and i hope they get it together soon, i miss using my sound card the way it shoudl be..