FDV Homepage suspended ?!

AgiHammerklau

Hi !

I´m just trying to build an unattended installation-disk for w2k without IE again.

So I just dropped by FDV´s homepage and found it suspended. Yesterday it was still up and running.

Fortunately I could grab all relevant pages from google-cache.

Do You know what happened?

Did he violate any new laws nobody knows about ( reverse engeneering, copyright, DRM,... ) or did he simply forget to pay for the domain ?

I will definetly miss this page if it will be blocked for ever !

But I hope he will be back and also contribute to this forum !

Agi Hammerklau

Of course there is most of the stuff on HFSLIP.ORG,

but for me it´s easier to see why I´m doing what and having a step by step guide is better then searching the forum for everything.

Bytheway after comparing the pages I saved and yesterday there was no hint anymore about removing IE after installation...

I hope FDV is not in serious trouble, but if, I will support him as much as I can.

Agi Hammerklau

No idea what's going on there. Haven't heard from him in a while.

I'd guess either he didn't pay on time or the host suspended the account out of ignorance. You have to be into this stuff to know whether it's legit or not.

Edited by Tomcat76

Glad to know I was missed even for a few brief hours.. seriously! :D

I autorenewed the domain but they had my old address, and the credit card company came back as "invalid information" so they shut me down. I'm back in the game now though.

And not in trouble thankfully! I've been doing my own electrical wiring in my house, the lady I bought it from never updated it. The wiring is literally about 100 years old. SO I am ripping and re-designing circuits. Takes time to do the job right though! Time. Timetimetime. Did I mention I moved a piano today?

I am sitting here and it is 10 deg C here and it's not unbearable but jeez I am cold. Even with oil as it is I still hate spending money so I throw an extra blanket on the bed but I have to sit in the cold as I surf the 'net and my joints ache from the cold. Makes me feel old and I'm only 35, heh.

Wrote a long, rambling letter to TP the other day; he's been scarce around these parts as well I see but I know he is busy as well. He has sworn me to secrecy and I am not allowed to say that he has purchased a weasel farm and plans to breed them for racing.

So, about the piano. Hold on I need a yogurt, BRB.

Anyway when I moved into my place, the old woman who lived her previously had TWO pianos. Whiskey Tango Foxtrot right, but yeah... two. One was broken. We asked her to leave the GOOD one. What's she do? Leave the place a mess and take the good one. No good dirty unicorn spanking midget tossing pirate licking whore. So I got / conned some gents into rolling it out the front door. Just as Diana pulls up, with her car in front of the walkway, and here we come with the piano. She moves it just as we send the thing careeing down my steps and onto the walk but even though it had casters it didn't go anywhere. It sounds stupid but I really had no place to put it so if it rolled down the street I was honestly going to just ignore it. Hey, who the heck is going to trace some random broken piano back to me? That woulda been funny... just get rid of the thing by rolling it down the street. I live in a place where if it HAD gone down the street, it would have ended up in an intersection.

SO, yeah. That's what I have going on. Not much else.

I'm lying, I leave for DC in t weeks for a national conference. Gotta act respectable for that. Suit and tie and listen to attorneys talk shop (these are not people who know how to have fun).

I have not updated the site in some time, but as it's been noted, the process is mature and there isn't really much left to do. I still get really weird questions from time to time, even about XP... I still use Win2k and Kubuntu. Easy Ubuntu makes it a breeze. The more I hear about Vista, the more I realize it's a futile battle and the only future to MS products is either the FDV fileset for 2k or nLite for XP.

Heye, did you guys hear about 10 security fixes on the 10th? Many criticals. Just loserrific. I took a sleeping pill 50 minutes ago and I'm nodding off... Time to go to bed, definitely.

TTYL gents (and 2 ladies)

Ah, a very FDV-esque post! You are obviously doing just fine and are the same ol' FDV we know and, uhm...love? :wub::hello:

Doesn't the new Weird Al album have a "weasel stomping" song? Should be great fun on the weekends over at TommyP's Weasel Ranch!

Glad to know I was missed even for a few brief hours.. seriously! :D

I autorenewed the domain but they had my old address, and the credit card company came back as "invalid information" so they shut me down. I'm back in the game now though.

And not in trouble thankfully! I've been doing my own electrical wiring in my house, the lady I bought it from never updated it. The wiring is literally about 100 years old. SO I am ripping and re-designing circuits. Takes time to do the job right though! Time. Timetimetime. Did I mention I moved a piano today?

I am sitting here and it is 10 deg C here and it's not unbearable but jeez I am cold. Even with oil as it is I still hate spending money so I throw an extra blanket on the bed but I have to sit in the cold as I surf the 'net and my joints ache from the cold. Makes me feel old and I'm only 35, heh.

Wrote a long, rambling letter to TP the other day; he's been scarce around these parts as well I see but I know he is busy as well. He has sworn me to secrecy and I am not allowed to say that he has purchased a weasel farm and plans to breed them for racing.

So, about the piano. Hold on I need a yogurt, BRB.

Anyway when I moved into my place, the old woman who lived her previously had TWO pianos. Whiskey Tango Foxtrot right, but yeah... two. One was broken. We asked her to leave the GOOD one. What's she do? Leave the place a mess and take the good one. No good dirty unicorn spanking midget tossing pirate licking whore. So I got / conned some gents into rolling it out the front door. Just as Diana pulls up, with her car in front of the walkway, and here we come with the piano. She moves it just as we send the thing careeing down my steps and onto the walk but even though it had casters it didn't go anywhere. It sounds stupid but I really had no place to put it so if it rolled down the street I was honestly going to just ignore it. Hey, who the heck is going to trace some random broken piano back to me? That woulda been funny... just get rid of the thing by rolling it down the street. I live in a place where if it HAD gone down the street, it would have ended up in an intersection.

SO, yeah. That's what I have going on. Not much else.

I'm lying, I leave for DC in t weeks for a national conference. Gotta act respectable for that. Suit and tie and listen to attorneys talk shop (these are not people who know how to have fun).

I have not updated the site in some time, but as it's been noted, the process is mature and there isn't really much left to do. I still get really weird questions from time to time, even about XP... I still use Win2k and Kubuntu. Easy Ubuntu makes it a breeze. The more I hear about Vista, the more I realize it's a futile battle and the only future to MS products is either the FDV fileset for 2k or nLite for XP.

Heye, did you guys hear about 10 security fixes on the 10th? Many criticals. Just loserrific. I took a sleeping pill 50 minutes ago and I'm nodding off... Time to go to bed, definitely.

TTYL gents (and 2 ladies)

I was worried that Microsoft threatened legal action over the fileset.

I was worried that Microsoft sent a DMCA complaint to the host!

Because of the fact that Microsoft is getting aggressive about intellectual property.

This definitely didn't look good with the recent aggressive intellectual property protection spree.

Microsoft is now the most aggressive that I have ever saw!

Microsoft bought out companies that they likely normally would have not.

I hope Microsoft gets prosecuted by the DOJ and/or sued again! :realmad:

It appears that we have a corporate war!

Edited by RJARRRPCGP

• 1 month later...

:(

From FDV's site:

Wednesday November 15, 2006, 23:18. I'm retired. Some thoughts.

Yes, HFSLIP will continue to support my fileset, which will always work!!

Well, the best of luck to you! Thanks for providing HFSLIP and computer users alike with your wonderful fileset (which I'm afraid to admit I've never used)! On behalf of everyone, we appreciate all your work! :yes:

:w00t:

P.S. It's weird that I just noticed this. :lol: