transferring files through a router

My friend has a problem. He has 2 computers, both are hooked up to a Linksys WRT54G router, and he was wondering how to transfer all the files on his 1st computer over to his 2nd computer. But he doesn't know how to do it. We looked through the linksys site but can't find anything related to it. Can anyone provide us a link to a site or give instructions on how to do this? thanks.

I had tried using the Windows file sharing crap, but it was pretty messed up and I only got it to work once before losing it. It also uses many services I disable.

The easiest way I currently have is to just set up an FTP server. FileZilla has a pretty easy to manage one. Just remember to make an exception for it in Windows Firewall. Then all you need is the IP address, make a user name, and set a home folder under the user settings. The other PC uses the IP address and a copy of FileZilla client.

Yep, FTP is the way to go. I also have a WRT54G and transfering files takes forever if I don't use FTP. Might be a router problem, or just a general thing with routers and slow speed, but that was all solved by setting up a FTP server.

I had tried using the Windows file sharing crap, but it was pretty messed up and I only got it to work once before losing it. It also uses many services I disable.

The easiest way I currently have is to just set up an FTP server. FileZilla has a pretty easy to manage one. Just remember to make an exception for it in Windows Firewall. Then all you need is the IP address, make a user name, and set a home folder under the user settings. The other PC uses the IP address and a copy of FileZilla client.

Easiest? Huh? You're talking about using another piece of software in order to do what you could have done if you hadn't disabled a couple of services (Computer Browser, Server, Workstation)? That's not easier.

I've got Windows sharing set up between my desktop and laptop. It's dead simple to access the shares on my desktop - just click on the shortcut on my desktop that points to \\server. As long as you don't mess with services or files - Windows file sharing works just fine.

Here's a couple of things to check to ensure that File Sharing will work:

1. Can you ping the other computer through the connection?
  2. Are both computers on the same workgroup, but with unique names? Right-click on My Computer and select properties. Under the Computer Name tab, you'll be able to see (and set) the computer name and workgroup.
  3. Do you have any Windows Shares enabled? To check, make an emtpy folder somewhere, and then right-click on it to select Properties. Under the Sharing tab, set the radio button to "Share this folder", and then select a name for it (if the default name isn't good enough).
  4. Go to the other computer, and go to "My Network Places". Click on the "View Workgroup Computers" link on the side. Windows might seem like it hangs or freezes here, but just wait. It'll get back to you when it's finished scanning the network. If it finds the other computer - great. You're pretty much done.
  5. If you can't do that, or if you want to create a direct link to the other computer, make a shortcut on your desktop that points to \\computer_name\share_name.

See - no extra software. And the file browsing works just like a standard Windows Explorer window.

Oh - and those who think that FTP is overall faster for backing up files? Try this. Get the trial of SyncBackSE (must be SE version for FTP capabilities). Set up a backup profile for some large directory. A folder with lots of small files will work better for this test. Set it to work over your Windows Shares, and run it and time it to see how long it takes. Then change it to work over FTP, and link that to your FTP server, and run it again. For me, it takes much much longer when using FTP, since there's a LOT of latency compared to Windows Shares.

I've got the WRT54GL at home (essentially the same as the old WRT54G). There is no speed difference for me whether or not I use FTP or Windows shares to transfer files. Unless you've got a problem with your router, there is nothing about that model that would cause only Windows shares to not work.

Hate Windows File Sharing. I had it on to share files with other people in my network. Then I got a new computer, and was curious to see if \\192.168.1.2\C$ would work, and sure enough, I had complete file access from my new computer. Not sure I feel safe with that kind of security.

Hate Windows File Sharing. I had it on to share files with other people in my network. Then I got a new computer, and was curious to see if \\192.168.1.2\C$ would work, and sure enough, I had complete file access from my new computer. Not sure I feel safe with that kind of security.

Well, that's not WFS's fault now is it? You have to make sure your security settings are good enough as well.

I agree with Zxian, but this is turning into an ego thread instead of assisting the person who started the thread. Everybody has the right to use what works best for them. The original poster was looking for assistance in moving files between systems. I am not going to debate which way is best for BombaTwist's friend, but here are some notes about how my network is setup:

> I map drives to specifically shared folders through my network on 5 computers and a Virtual PC session running WinXP Pro w/SP2, a Virtual PC session running Vista RC1, and I avoid using WinXP Home Ed.

> Simple File Sharing is turned off.

> All of my computers are purposely set to unique-named workgroups (i.e.- no 2 computers are on the same workgroup, meaning the same workgroup is not an issue for me).

> I have removed all default admin shares (C$, D$, E$, etc) with registry settings that have been discussed and posted in the unattended install threads here at MSFN.

> FTP is not as secure as one may think, this is well known, and it is why my Linux server rarely has FTP enabled internally to my network and I have never enabled it externally to the internet for my users to upload files. I did just enable it internally from my Linux server just for send and receive tests on a 37MB file and I got respectable speeds through FTP, but because my WFS is a little bit faster and works properly, I am not going to install a FTP server on any Windows system that I have. I also will not waste time by using the Linux server as a file server when I have an easier way to move files directly.

> As a side note, I also avoid Linksys routers like the plague, as atleast some past routers have not secured the admin sign-on properly and it could be bypassed to get admin access to a Linksys router. This may not be the case anymore, but there are plenty of other quality routers on the market at decent prices.

That's about as much as i am going to say about the issue to note that although some may have issues with Windows file sharing, others have not had problems and if BombaTwist would like to know more about some proper and secure setup information of WFS to compare it to other alternatives like FTP or USB hard drives, then he is welcome to ask.

XPSlacker :ph34r:

Edited by XPSlacker

i use Skype to transfer files between my two laptops, using my Linksys router....i too found Windows file sharing very difficult to set up (i have XP Home) and to keep running, plus i don't like to have file sharing active on my system...

if i have multiple files to transfer, i just use Winrar to consolidate them, then send the RAR file to my other skype account on the other laptop...i get speeds that are fast enough for me, and i don't have tro activate any services i dont like...

:)

@Aegis

I’m sorry but if you were able to access shares the way you describe, then it sounds like you need a password. That is not MS's fault.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Windows file sharing is very easy to setup.

Most problems I have ever seen are from people not understanding how

to configure there router/firewall

Or, they have gone through and modified/disabled services not really knowing what they are doing. They find some article that recommends disabling this and that. But they don’t take the time to actually READ it.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And as far as complete file access goes. They can read your files, not write.

What’s hiding in your closet?

That kind of information should be locked-up and encrypted anyway.

Again not MS’s fault. TrueCrypt

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

While I’m at it.

EVERYBODY SHOULD BE RUNING UNDER A RESTRICTED USER ACOUNT.

The whole root kit fiasco (and most viruses/trojans) would have never happened.

It’s amazing all the garbage that tries to get installed on your system, and you have no way of knowing it when running as an admin.

Edited by Zoofield

It does not look like this was mentioned before....

The Win XP built-in firewall (if enabled) could also be one reason file sharing is not working. You can still run this firewall, but have an exception for file & print sharing.

-John

:blink:

9 Services running in total here, only 2 services need to be enabled, 1 service is always active if you use a network so... why not use "windows file sharing"? And why are people p***ing on it? Did they make a better thing there selves (neither did I but I’m not p***ing AND s***ting on it at the same time)...

Good that people live some distance from me ;)...

@ BombaTwist,

Get an extra switch and connect that to router, connect your PCs to the switch, always better and for sure windows file sharing will work if both PCs are XP/2000/2003. What OS are you running any way?

Edited by puntoMX