Fyrefox Security

Aegis

I'm planning on migrating from Opera to Fyrefox, but I'm not sure if that's a smart decision from a security point of view. From what I've heard, Opera has zero unpatched flaws while Fyrefox still has a few. Is it worth the switch?

And I'm hoping that the Fyrefox gurus here could help me with this little customization problem. I would like to be able to set a maximum height for the address bar, and a max width for the tabs. Example is shown.

fyrefoxaw8.th.jpg

I'm pretty sure Opera has always been known through the course of it's development to be the browser with the least number of unpatched security holes.

www.secunia.com has all the information regarding security vulnerabilities in countless programs. Just do a search for Opera, you will find much info.

However, that's all technical and statistical. Let's look at things realistically. There are certain functions within an application that pose as a vulnerability that could allow remote code execution. However, a user may not necessarily use a given function, and thus doesn't have to worry about it. Also, a lot of vulnerabilities require a malicious user to actually lure an unsuspecting user into a trap, so the malicious user can actually succeed in compromising the system. Are you that gullable? It's the same as those ads on webpages that say "You have # new messages, click here to check them!" or "Your system has been infected, click here to become safe again!" C'mon... you'd have to be born today to fall for that crap.

I'll use myself as an example for this next one. I use Acronis True Image. Regardless of what happened to my active partition (what Windows is installed on), I can always restore to a 100% working copy with my backup image stored on my second partition. But on a day-to-day basis, I'm protected by a router, have a slimmed down (nLited) version of Windows, so a lot of components/files that are known to be exploited in some way or another, are removed from my system. I use Opera and I usually run it Sandboxed, so even if I were to get a truckload of spyware/viruses/trojans/worms/hijackers/etc, the Sandbox empties automatically after I'm done surfing and ALL of that is deleted. And IIRC, I haven't gone out of my way to p*** off some m4st3r_haxz0rz, enticing him/her to hack the crap out of me. If I did notice my mouse cursor moving on it's own, I immediately reach to my left and pull my ethernet cable out of my router.

Long story short, you do something like that, you're pretty safe. :hello: