Small problem with Office XP

I've discussed this before but never could find a solution. Basically, the version of Office XP that I have (which I purchased through my college's Microsoft Campus Agreement thingy) does not support slipstreaming updates to it. The problem is caused by the version of pro.msi included on the Office CD, but there is nothing I can do about it without acquiring a working copy of the file from someone else. I was hesitant to so openly ask for it here, as it may be considered warez but it is my opinion that I have paid for this software therefore I should be able to use it to its full potential. If the moderators feel I'm out of line, then of course they can feel free to close this thread and that'll be the end of it. However, if someone happens to have a copy of pro.msi (not proplus.msi--the version of office I have does not include frontpage) and would be willing to help me, either post here or send me a PM or e-mail me. Thanks for your time, guys, you're the greatest. :)

I haven't tried replacing pro.msi as I haven't been able to get another copy of it. I can get proplus.msi to almost work, but it gives and error when copying files (because of the lack of Frontpage I believe). Thus far, I haven't been able to find a version of office xp on the 'net that didn't include frontpage (if you know what I mean...) so unless someone here has a copy then I'm probably SOL--Studnet Out of Luck. :)

No, it doesn't. Besides, not even the setup.exe /a switch will work.

BTW, I forgot that the version of Office XP I have uses proret.msi instead of pro.msi (perhaps ret is short for retarded...:)), although I'm certain I can get it to at least attempt to use a copy of pro.msi. :rolleyes:

You know, would it be possible to edit the .msi file itself? That might work, considering no one seems to have a copy of office xp without frontpage that they'd like to share pro.msi from. :D

Have you considered emailing the Office team at Microsoft to ask if its possible to do a custom install with your version of Office? Give them the full name of what its called (Enterprise / Small Business Version etc), version number and the name of the msi file.

I remember when I was back in school we had Office software for students, that had a limitation on the cd. However, the library had a version of Office that any student could borrow to install on his pc, and this version had no limitations on it. Check your library, they may have something similar.