new idea? - yes? (sorry if it's not!)

the_doc735

I'm hoping that someone can give 'form' to this idea (is it new?)

well, I've uploaded the win xp [i386] monitor.inf file [expanded] and my L1915S.inf file....

I think you all know what's coming next - no?

OK - Is there a way to supplant the default_monitor information in the monitor.inf file with that of the L1915S and in effect make that the default monitor for auto install?

If not supplant, then simply 'merge' and 'add to' the monitor.inf file perhaps?

A small amount of surgery should be all that is required?

Are there any .inf file gurus on here (or somewhere)?

I know the WINDOWS DDK has an .inf generator wizard that creates .inf's. It presumably asks for information that is already contained within the original .inf's?

NB: I realise the notepad is the .inf file editor by the way!

B)

monitor.inf

L1915S.INF

Edited by the_doc735

Untested ideas :

1/

Remove all the monitor*.inf from c:\windows\inf after windows installation, then install your monitor. In theory, windows will no more be able to re-install its default monitor "driver" (but it may ask you for the CD ?)

2/

Let windows install its default monitor, then disable it in device manager, then install yours. hopefully, windows will remember this "disable" and no more bugs you (but it may then think you want no display and *really* disable the monitor ?)

3/

In monitor.inf, search for this :

[1280VESA60]
HKR,"MODES\640,480",Mode1,,"60.0,50.0,-,-"
HKR,"MODES\1280,1024",Mode1,,"48.0,65.0,+,+"
HKR,,PreferredMode,,"1280,1024,60"

and replace the third line with the one from L1915s.inf :

HKR,"MODES\1280,1024",Mode1,,"30.0-83.0,56.0-75.0,+,+"

This will set the windows' default monitor settings to be those of your monitor.

Then, you'll need to do something for the ICM profile if you really need if. Maybe by adding the line :

HKR,,ICMprofile,0,"LGL1915S.ICM"

in the above section and copying manually the file.

4/ I have the exact same problem with a IIyama LS902U, but i can live with both monitors "drivers" : windows switches them randomly on boot, but i don't see any difference (i had configured both times ago, and the only *real* change is the description shown).

Why can't you ?

++

I think instead of removing any drivers just remove defualt path from registry DevicePath and point to only dir where you have your monitor.

Normally your DevicePath in registry looks like: %SystemRoot%\inf;

Change it to: C:\Drivers\MyMonitorDriver;

Give it a try. Think this would work as normally if you remove that default path even when you connect usb device to computer it won't be installed. So i think it should work for monitor too.

Hi there!

I've integrated the whole of my .inf file into the MS monitor.inf

would be grateful if anyone who understands the workings of inf files could take a look at it and tell me if you think it will work?

My original post has the original files attached and this one has the result of the merger, please compare them if need be?

MY additions are rem [;] in GREEN

NB: The original comments are green too, but I did not alter them; they were already present when I opened it up! I'll leave it up to your own common sense to distinguish between them!

The colours show up in 'notepad 2' B.T.W. (& maybe MS Word? or equivalent). Otherwise you're stuck with good old monochrome!

I realise the ".cat" has been left out but it wouldn't work anyway with the edited version of the .inf file. However, I'm using:

WINNT.SIF [unattended]

driversigningpolicy=ignore

nondriversigningpolicy=ignore

...so I should be OK - Yes?

:whistle:

monitor_test.inf

Edited by the_doc735

Untested ideas :

1/

Remove all the monitor*.inf from c:\windows\inf after windows installation,

2/

Let windows install its default monitor, then disable it in device manager,

3/

In monitor.inf, search for this :

[1280VESA60]
HKR,"MODES\640,480",Mode1,,"60.0,50.0,-,-"
HKR,"MODES\1280,1024",Mode1,,"48.0,65.0,+,+"
HKR,,PreferredMode,,"1280,1024,60"

and replace the third line with the one from L1915s.inf :

HKR,"MODES\1280,1024",Mode1,,"30.0-83.0,56.0-75.0,+,+"

This will set the windows' default monitor settings to be those of your monitor.

Then, you'll need to do something for the ICM profile if you really need if. Maybe by adding the line :

HKR,,ICMprofile,0,"LGL1915S.ICM"

in the above section and copying manually the file.

4/ I have the exact same problem with a IIyama LS902U, but i can live with both monitors "drivers" : windows switches them randomly on boot, but i don't see any difference (i had configured both times ago, and the only *real* change is the description shown).

Why can't you ?

++

@delprat

1. good! - but might as well use the hardware update wizard instead as this 'defeats the object of the exercise' i.e. unattended install.

2. same as '1' (above).

3. I'm trying something like this, please see the rest of this thread, thanx!

4. Why can't I what?

many thanks for the suggestions :yes:

I think instead of removing any drivers just remove defualt path from registry DevicePath and point to only dir where you have your monitor.

Give it a try. Think this would work as normally if you remove that default path even when you connect usb device to computer it won't be installed. So i think it should work for monitor too.

@madboy

thanks for the idea but could you be a bit more explicit and elaborate a little please as I don't quite follow your method i.e. ' the penny hasn't dropped* - yet!' :no: (colloquialism/figure of speech*)

e.g. a 1,2,3 .... walk through would be ideal :yes:

Well you can do 2things.

1. Go to Start/Run type regedit

2. Go to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\DevicePath

3. Check it's value. Should be something like %SystemRoot%\inf;

Now the system when you plug in device check this Registry Key for drivers in it. If it finds one it installs stuff automagically. If it doesn't, it asks you to point to drivers. What you can do is:

4. Change that key value to something like C:\MonitorDriverDir; where you will have only your monitor files. Make sure to remove that %SystemRoot%\inf; (replace that string with the one where you have your monitor drivers in, those have to be in clean form (.inf, .cat etc)

5. Remove in Device Manager your monitor ;)

Now you can either REBOOT and wait for windows to detect your monitor on start, or second option make it detect it already. I am not sure if Windows will let you to remove monitor without reboot so it might be the only option here. Now if your computer gets up after reboot it should find only drivers to your Monitor. If drivers are correct and Windows will recognize those drivers are for THIS monitor, it will install them. If not then i think there might be issue with eiter drivers being for other monitor, or something else ;)

If you succeed go to registry key again and put back default value ;)

well, as I haven't received an answer regarding where to place the ICM file. I've decided on some lateral thinking!

Instead of trying to place the ICM where the inf file 'looks' (e.g. ROOT folder etc etc), or testing a variety of $OEM$ possibilities) I thought I might as well just place it in the I386 folder in a compressed format [LGL1915S.IC_]. Then add it to the dosnet and txtsetup.sif files like so:

[FILES]

d1,lgl1915s.icm

[sourcedisksfiles]

lgl1915s.icm = 1,,,,,,,,3,3

...then simply remove the 'copyfiles' entries from the inf file altogether.

Any good?

:whistle:

i'm late, sorry :(

about my previous 4/ in post #2, the question was "why are you needing your monitor driver ?" The inf file contains only settings for 1280x1024 (like refresh rate), and a color profile. Is your monitor misfunctionning with default driver ?

about your post #9, you're right : this will copy the ICM, providing you set the correct directory ID in txtsetup.sif (the first number "1" is correct, that's the others), the ICM should go in system32\spool\drivers\color.

about your post #4 (monitor_test.inf), as far as i can tell, it seems correct, except for this section :

[ControlFlags]

ExcludeFromSelect=Monitor\Default_Monitor

You should not modify it : it's meant to disallow the user to install the "Default Monitor" using the hardware wizard. If you set your monitor instead of the default one, it will be hidden from the "database"

But i may have misunderstood your goad : you may want to hide your LG monitor, in this case, just add it after the default one, using a coma :

ExcludeFromSelect=Monitor\Default_Monitor, Monitor\GSM4A90

(nota: the ".nt" is pointless 'coz you're modifying a NT-specific file)

Also, check if LGL1915s.icm is not a copy of the default sRGB.icm. You can check the other monitor*.inf, maybe one of them include ICM files copying ? (if so, do not modify "monitor.inf" but the "monitor*.inf")

++

edit: the root ? wtf ? 8/

Edited by Delprat

i'm late, sorry :(

about my previous 4/ in post #2, the question was "why are you needing your monitor driver ?" The inf file contains only settings for 1280x1024 (like refresh rate), and a color profile. Is your monitor misfunctionning with default driver ?

about your post #9, you're right : this will copy the ICM, providing you set the correct directory ID in txtsetup.sif (the first number "1" is correct, that's the others), the ICM should go in system32\spool\drivers\color.

about your post #4 (monitor_test.inf), as far as i can tell, it seems correct, except for this section :

[ControlFlags]

You should not modify it : it's meant to disallow the user to install the "Default Monitor" using the hardware wizard. If you set your monitor instead of the default one, it will be hidden from the "database"

But i may have misunderstood your goad : you may want to hide your LG monitor, in this case, just add it after the default one, using a coma :

ExcludeFromSelect=Monitor\Default_Monitor, Monitor\GSM4A90

(nota: the ".nt" is pointless 'coz you're modifying a NT-specific file)

Also, check if LGL1915s.icm is not a copy of the default sRGB.icm. You can check the other monitor*.inf, maybe one of them include ICM files copying ? (if so, do not modify "monitor.inf" but the "monitor*.inf")

++

@delprat :hello:

No need to apologise :rolleyes:

...no I don't need it I suppose, but I just like everything to be right/correct. "just so". :wub:

Having looked at raskren's posts, I decided to do this: [?]

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?s=&amp...st&p=103063

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?s=&amp...st&p=103095

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?s=&amp...st&p=103097

TXTSETUP.SIF

[sourcedisksfiles]
lgl1915s.icm = 1,,,,,,,34,0,0,%lgl1915s%

[strings]
lgl1915s = "LG L1915S Color Space Profile"

I changed this on your advice! :thumbup

The ICMs are not the same, and I'm not copying from the .inf directives anymore (they have been removed!). I'm copying from the TXTSETUP.SIF to \color instead! (& dosnet.inf=d1?). The other LGL1915s entries are still in the monitor.inf of course! Only the copying sections have been removed.

what's this?

...your turn!

@ madboy :hello:

....so how does this make my monitor driver install to device manager as the default choice with the associated ICM right from the unattended 'xpcd' setup?

i.e. I open device manager for the very first time after installing windows, click on monitors and it says "LGL1915S" instead of "default monitor". I open color management for the very first time after installing windows and it says: LGL1915S.ICM/LG FLATRON L1915S DEFAULT (without me having to select it through the ADD button). This is all acheived automatically in unattended windows setup!

At this stage there is no registry on the 'xpcd' ONLY 'hive.infs', surely it is they that must be edited?

B.T.W. If you say this question should be in unattended windows xp (?) - they say this question should be in unattended device drivers coz it's about a driver??? Actually, its about installing a driver in windows xp whilst unattended, so where should it be placed please?

Well you can do 2things.

1. Go to Start/Run type regedit

2. Go to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\DevicePath

3. Check it's value. Should be something like %SystemRoot%\inf;

Now the system when you plug in device check this Registry Key for drivers in it. If it finds one it installs stuff automagically. If it doesn't, it asks you to point to drivers. What you can do is:

4. Change that key value to something like C:\MonitorDriverDir; where you will have only your monitor files. Make sure to remove that %SystemRoot%\inf; (replace that string with the one where you have your monitor drivers in, those have to be in clean form (.inf, .cat etc)

5. Remove in Device Manager your monitor ;)

Now you can either REBOOT and wait for windows to detect your monitor on start, or second option make it detect it already. I am not sure if Windows will let you to remove monitor without reboot so it might be the only option here. Now if your computer gets up after reboot it should find only drivers to your Monitor. If drivers are correct and Windows will recognize those drivers are for THIS monitor, it will install them. If not then i think there might be issue with eiter drivers being for other monitor, or something else ;)

If you succeed go to registry key again and put back default value ;)

@ madboy :hello:

....so how does this make my monitor driver install to device manager as the default choice with the associated ICM right from the unattended 'xpcd' setup?....

SEE ABOVE POST FOR FULL RESPONCE^

:hello:

"everything to be right" ???

No, that's "everything gonna be alright" (but you're not the first to make this mistake)

i saw... hard to follow you !

TXTSETUP.SIF

[sourcedisksfiles]

[strings]

I've looked in my files, and all ICM files seems to end in ,,,3,3, except sRGB.icm which ends in ,,,34,0, and is always copied, so it seems correct so far.

I think you'll need to remove the last part : ,%lgl1915s%, and the strings section, or it will rename lgl1915s.icm to "LG L1915S Color Space Profile" (with no extension !!!) during setup (take a look to the WAV files, like XPStart.wav = <numbers and comas>,%XPStart%). Your original INF file refers to lgl1915s.icm, and nothing else.

Forget about "the root ? wtf ? 8/", i did misunderstood.

++

:hello:

"everything to be right" ???

No, that's "everything gonna be alright" (but you're not the first to make this mistake)

i saw... hard to follow you !

TXTSETUP.SIF

[sourcedisksfiles]

[strings]

I've looked in my files, and all ICM files seems to end in ,,,3,3, except sRGB.icm which ends in ,,,34,0, and is always copied, so it seems correct so far.

I think you'll need to remove the last part : ,%lgl1915s%, and the strings section, or it will rename lgl1915s.icm to "LG L1915S Color Space Profile" (with no extension !!!) during setup (take a look to the WAV files, like XPStart.wav = <numbers and comas>,%XPStart%). Your original INF file refers to lgl1915s.icm, and nothing else.

Forget about "the root ? wtf ? 8/", i did misunderstood.

++

@ delprat :hello:

changed string section :thumbup

still not installed by default (with associated ICM) from the XPCD though? :(

what's wrong? which part of the monitor.inf file chooses the monitor to install and how can I change this to mine with the associated ICM?

B.T.W.

ICM and driver DO appear in pick lists ONLY (for manual install) right from the XPCD! :angry:

Frustrated

i don't know : for any other hardware, there's HWIDs in the .infs, but monitors are installed in a "strange" way.

What about changing this :

[SysCfgClasses]
Monitor, %Unknown.DeviceDesc%,MONITOR,4,%MonitorClassName% ; Default to "Unknown Monitor"

replacing %Unknown.DeviceDesc% by %L1915S% ?

and maybe moving the [LG] section' content to [Generic] ?

++

ps: seems like there's "monitor-drivers-skilled-people" in this topic :

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=82735

see post #21 by MGDx and #23 by erpdude8

(but nothing about unattended)