Thats what mine was when i built it.

HALACPI = uniprocessor right?

stickzilla

can i add

UpdateUPHAL="ACPIAPIC_UP,%WINDIR%\Inf\Hal.inf"

UpdateUPHAL="HALACPI,%WINDIR%\Inf\Hal.inf"

I need to have support for all 3

Edited by lkeneston

Yeah, unknown territory. If the image was built on the Dell D810 (APCI Uniprocessor, halaacpi.dll) as you mentioned then I would expect it to apply on any of the machines you're looking to support without having to add any magic to sysprep.inf or cmdlines.txt. I really don't know what it's hitting safe mode.

When you drop the image on the two systems where the safe mode issue occurs, does mini-setup run first then the system reboots into safe mode? Or is safe mode the first thing to come up? If mini-setup runs first then i'd be curious to catch the system before the next reboot and take a look at the setup.* files in C:\WINDOWS... setuperr.log will give you a quick list of any errors encountered and setupapi.log will indicate which devices were enumerated.

what happens if you do nothing iwth the hal, at least when putting on another uniprocessor hal system or on a MP hal system? Nothing should have to be done in either case. If it goes back to the ACPI hal then you would have to change it.

Moments ago I built an XPP SP2-based sysprep image on an Intel P4 non-HT system, which is identified in Device Manager as "ACPI Uniprocessor PC". I then restored the image on an Intel P4 HT system, rebooted, let mini-setup complete and the PC rebooted without hitting safe mode. When I login I see a message re: "Windows has finished installing new devices... restart... yes|no". If I check device manager "APCI Multiprocessor PC" is listed. I've used none of the HAL-related entries in sysprep.inf, no magic with cmdlines.txt to detect/replace the HAL and did not call sysprep w/ the -pnp switch. As far as i can see, mini-setup was able to detect and install the appropriate HAL, which is the behaviour I would expect in your case if the image was built on an "ACPI Uniprocessor PC" system, such as the Dell D810. I have no idea why you're seeing the behaviour you're reporting...

ok, now i tried the original image i had that hung when i chose the mp hal,

i chose nothing and it loaded the Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) PC,

However, when i went to computer in device manager and clicked roll back, the machine rebooted came up found the mp hal, then rebooted again, all is good as per

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?act=ST...=70&t=27202

Now the question is can i roll it back from a script? after first reboot?

ok, takes a bit but it boots up, but it uses the hal shows Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) PC, It won't auto detect the mp hal

Did you dump a new sysprep image that excluded your HAL selection scripts or re-use the existing image and simply bypassed your HAL selection script? If you built a new image, on which system did you build the new image? Which system did you restore it the image to?

I still used the script but bypassed it, but then I changed it again, I created a folder called hals in the system32, then created 2 copies of each hal like this HALACPIa, HALACPIb, a is for desktops, b is for laptops in the script,in each of those directories is the perspective hal files. When you chose a machine before mini setup ends it creates a runonce that runs a batch file on first boot up that manually replaces all the hal files, when it is done it actually asks to reboot, I tried it on 2 separate machines, now that I have those batch files a and b I can add install scripts that can differ from machine or desktop vs. laptop.

I work nights tonight but I’ll post the .reg, and bat files to show you.

Edited by lkeneston