Can you make a Bootable XP CD using nLite

Johnny Faster

I just spent about 3 hours slipstreaming and other gyrations only to find out that my "bootable" XP disk runs straight to Install XP just like any other.

I want to make something like that Linux disk that runs right off the CD, for when I am troubleshooting people's computers that may have malware.

Can this be done ?

Can this be done using nLite ?

I use Nero as my software, so it would be most helpful if suggestions were "aimed" for this software.

Thanks

Johnny

Thanks dhdan, for the nice tip. You've made a convert.

I made a bootable "ultimate" CD for windows and it worked fine first time out ! No interent though. Maybe I'll have to fiddle with it.

Boots VERY slow. Runs okay.

Some of the tools look better than what XP has. Nice Desktop.

CD was easy to make, easier than slipstreaming. But then I took all the defaults, so I can't say how involved you can get once you get into the customizing.

But overall a great find. I've already posted the link on my favorite Tech forum.

Thanks Zxian for the suggestions. I've already tried BartPE. Can you tell me a little more, such as how they compare to Bart's and to each other ? I (sort of) like Bart's but wonder if there isn't something better. Which of the two would you recommend I try first ?

Both of the Bootable environments I mentioned keeps Explorer as your shell, instead of Nu2Menu (or whatever BartPE uses).

I haven't yet played with WinBuilder too much, but the ISO that it creates is only 40MB or so... much smaller than most other PEs that I've seen.

Reatogo has just about everything that you could ask for in a PE. It's got all the bells and whistles.

Try them both out. :)