[Utility] Driver Backup

IcemanND

Spaces in the path should make no difference whatsoever. I regularly backup the drivers to a folder on my desktop with multiple spaces in the path. And every driver that gets backed up has spaces in the name of the device which is how the folder is named.

@clavicle - If you rename the INF for your Audigy to audigy.inf do the drivers work?

@spazmire - I'm not sure what is happening with the problems you are seeing. the GUID that comes up as being unable to create folder is not a guid in the CSV file you sent me so I'm not sure where it even got it from in the first place. Once you click scan system all the information is either pulled from the CSV file or the related INF once that is located. And any folders are created before the INF is even searched for. I'll keep looking to see what I can find though.

@IceMan: i doubt it's due to polish chars. Right now i choose MOBILITY RADEON and before i choose Backup dir i clicked Backup Now. Same error. Even if i don't choose anything and click Backup i get that error too :|

BTW. What's your programming experience with DLL CALLs and stuff like that?

v78 beta released

@madboy - I more programming experience than I admit to anyone. It's not something I do on a regular basis. I do it when I find something I need/want to do but can't find anything else that does the job I want. But I've been programming for more than 20 years in 8 languages. This is actually a small part of a much larger program I am working on.

@IceMan

1. I keep getting same error :| Dunno what's wrong with it.

2. One suggestion, name your file with versions. So IE or Mozilla or some Proxy wouldn't cache it so one wouldn't use old bin by accident.

App keeps giving errors on multiple systems ( WINXP_SP2_DOTNET.v1.1 \ 2.0 + all updates )

I haven't been able to figure out what goes wrong, but somehow things get messed-up.

I added a screenshot of the error...anyone having this issue too? + a solution?

Thx in advance;)

post-45557-1160690931_thumb.png

Thx :thumbup

I will have a look and let you know about my findings;)

##update##

Sorry m8....it still keeps crashing with script errors.

I only could run this app once succesfully - actually, it only ran great at the very first time I tried it on a XP box.

If you would like to have some more info...just let me know and I will collect it;)

Edited by VATERNL

• 2 weeks later...

I found a freeware package called DriverMax which does a fantastic job. In fact I use this to extract installed drivers & use them to create customised FULLY unattended installation CDs for the clients for their specific machines. Works absolutely flawlessly.

• 4 weeks later...

@IcemanND

Great idea with great potential. I really like the idea of such a tool.

I tried this tool a while back. I tested it on a Dell Latitude D410 notebook and selected to backup ALL non-Microsoft drivers. I thought it hung, so I aborted it and never tried it again

Just now I just gave it another try, using the same system but this time I backed up only one driver.

driverbackupfb3.jpg

The first driver I ask it to backup took over 5 minutes just to backup 3 tiny files:

acronisua1.jpg

What's taking so long? :w00t:

Edited by iTwins

there's a utility called double driver, it's freeware, extremely effective and used by the PE community for some time. It's my personal choice anyway. :yes:

I am sure there are alot of similar programs out there. I personally use Driver Genius Professional for the last few years.

screen2.gif

screen5.gif

It is no doubt the best on the market. It can backup, backup to zip, backup to self-extracting EXE, backup to auto-install EXE, search, download and update new drivers, etc, etc, etc, It's only US30 for the Pro - I think it's well worth it.

But I am constantly looking for one that is good, stable, AND FREE FOR COMMERCIAL use (for work really). So far I have yet to find such a thing. Sorry, Double Driver is light years away...

Edited by iTwins