Windows repair missing?

RedDwarf

Hi everyone,

I am having big problems with Windows, my Ethernet and internet keeps dying on me (limited or no connectivity with my Ethernet) so I must keep this short before it dies again. I want to attempt a repair of Windows XP. My original CD does have the option to do a repair of windows, it shows the installed windows and allows to select one for repair. But this is missing on my Windows XP nlited CD. I do not remember ever seeing this available after doing a nlite CD. Can anyone tell me why this is and what I need to do to allow me to do a repair?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Do you have a \i386\winnt.sif for unattended installation ?

I think the presence of winnt.sif by itself removes ability to repair/recovery console.

If you want to use repair, you should use a non-unattended CD.

I do have that file on the CD but I do not make unattended CD's as I always like to change where they install to. So it is definately not an unattended CD.

I have just looked at the winnt.sif file and it says:

UnattendedInstall = "Yes"

Yet this is most definately NOT an unattended install CD. I am absolutely certain that I selected to make it gui attended or something like that (I cannot remember the exact options in the drop down list), but it was an attended installation that I wanted so I did select the most appropriate option to do that. I do not have nlite installed at the moment so I cannot check it.

What options are in that attended/unattended installation option drop down box?

Do I manually have to edit the winnt.sif file before I make the ISO so that it says

UnattendedInstall = "No" ?

Surely it should not be necessary to do that?

Edited by RedDwarf

As far as I know, whatever the content of \I386\winnt.sif is, as soon as winnt.sif file is found by the setup process after CD boot, repair option will not be available.

The most flexible option is to move winnt.sif to a floppy.

It will be found by the setup process.

If you want repair option back, just remove the floppy !

GUIattended option is already part of Unattended setup during NLIte process.

If you got this option, it is normal that winnt.sif is created.

If you don't want any winnt.sif file, just skip/unselect "Unattended" section of Nlite process.

Also check before starting NLite process that a winnt.sif file has not been already created during a previous setup process, or already existing on the CD you start the process with.

It should work.

That's all I know.