usb drivers for 98?

cyberman

:thumbup These are generic usb drivers for 98se i havent found a thumbdrive that wasnt detected in 98se using the nusb drivers. the info is here. http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=43605 direct download here http://www.mdgx.com/spx/NUSB23E.EXE good luck let us know how it turns out. Edited by Randy_Rivers

• 6 months later...

I have a similar issue. I have a SanDisk U3 Cruzer Micro, 512 mb. I want to be able to use it on an ancient Windows 98 machine in our house, but I can't because there aren't any drivers. The driver mentioned here - would it work with Windows 98 NOT second edition? If so, I'll try that, otherwise, does anyone know where I can find USB drivers for Windows 98 for the mentioned device, or better yet, all USB devices? Thanks in advance.

The PQI brand sold by Fry's works very well for me on both Win98FE and SE. A comparable 512MB model sells for about $15. It would be interesting to know if the PQI software will work with other brands. It is a 309K self executing .exe file. I did not try the separate utility pkg.

PQI = Power Quotient International, Inc., Tel +886-2-82265288, Fax +886-2-82265268

www.pqi.com/tw

www.pqi.com/tw/download.asp

The one I use is listed as BB53 series, U230 Traveling Disk 512MB

Once installed, the flash drive appears in Device Manager under Hard Drives as

"Generic USB Flash Disk"

"Standard disk 4-23-1999 no driver required Int13 unit"

"Driver free"

"No driver files are required or have been loaded for this device"

498 cylinders

64 heads

32 sectors per track / cluster

512 bytes per sector

(supplementing my earlier post on the PQI USB Flash Disk)

Note unit has to be plugged in for entries to appear in Device Manager

"Standard disk drives" 5-11-1998 on the FE machine

In Device Manager, under Hard disk controllers, appears as "USB Flash Drive"

Device type: Hard disk controllers

Manufacturer: Generic

under Driver Tab,

Provider: Generic

Date: 2-24-2006

Clicking on Driver file details,

\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\SKUMSS.SYS file date is 11-17-04

\SYSTEM\VMM32.VXD (ntkern.vxd) file date is 5-19-99 (SE is 12-26-03)

\SYSTEM\IOSUBSYS\SKPDR.PDR file date is 11-17-04

Provider: Microsoft Corporation

File Version: 5.00.1868.1

It's common knowledge among techs, at least, that every PC running the old cluggy Win-98 should be upgraded to Win-98/SE. The USB and printer support is greatly enhanced and many other problems in 98 are fixed.

Companies like SanDisk provide Mini and Micro drivers, but for 98/SE....not 98. I have them all.

Windows ME has even greater USB support and does not require drivers for many USB devices.

Copies of the 98/SE Upgrade CD are as common as can be and even a 98/SE OEM install CD can be made to work if you first rename 'win.com' to something else (like, win.old) so the setup.exe program on the CD can't see it. Then the upgrade to SE goes off without a hitch. The old registry, drivers and all data is preserved.

I've never found any downside to doing this upgrade and the benefits are many.

Add to that the 'Unofficial Service Pack for SE' and you have one very nice OS, Indeed. :thumbup

Just Googling for "98 USB drivers" will give you over 2 million hits.

Google till you drop! :thumbup

Cheers! B)

Copies of the 98/SE Upgrade CD are as common as can be and even a 98/SE OEM install CD can be made to work if you first rename 'win.com' to something else (like, win.old) so the setup.exe program on the CD can't see it. Then the upgrade to SE goes off without a hitch. The old registry, drivers and all data is preserved.

I've never found any downside to doing this upgrade and the benefits are many.

Add to that the 'Unofficial Service Pack for SE' and you have one very nice OS, Indeed.

Cheers! B)

I have Win 98 on an old laptop. I tried using my 98/SE OEM install CD and I get an error message that I cannot use this CD and must buy the Upgrade. I did rename 'win.com' to 'win.old'. Any suggestions. I am also trying this to use a flash drive.

Thanks,

Carol

It's common knowledge among techs, at least, that every PC running the old cluggy Win-98 should be upgraded to Win-98/SE. The USB and printer support is greatly enhanced and many other problems in 98 are fixed.

Yep and then my scanner doesn't work. And that's a USB scanner. Spent several days on the phone with the manufacturer before I gave up, formatted the drive and dumped 98 on it, where the scanner works perfectly. They fixed that one till it broke.

I'd never before found any reason to pick one over the other but after that BS, I destroyed my copy of 98SE to make sure I never used it again. I'm sure it works fine for other people, but 98 works fine for me and is probably faster (just a guess, but every upgrade I've ever seen is bigger and slower).

In my experience, renaming win.com has never confused the setup program. It's been awhile since I "played", but it seems to me that it looks for the registry and those are the files you'd have to rename, but then you'd get no import from them.

Just my opinion...,

Alexa

(supplementing my earlier post on the PQI USB Flash Disk)

Note unit has to be plugged in for entries to appear in Device Manager

"Standard disk drives" 5-11-1998 on the FE machine

In Device Manager, under Hard disk controllers, appears as "USB Flash Drive"

Device type: Hard disk controllers

Manufacturer: Generic

under Driver Tab,

Provider: Generic

Date: 2-24-2006

Clicking on Driver file details,

\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\SKUMSS.SYS file date is 11-17-04

\SYSTEM\VMM32.VXD (ntkern.vxd) file date is 5-19-99 (SE is 12-26-03)

\SYSTEM\IOSUBSYS\SKPDR.PDR file date is 11-17-04

Provider: Microsoft Corporation

File Version: 5.00.1868.1

All drivers provided by manufactures that I know of use these .sys and .pdr files. They differ in name and date/time stamp only. I use the same from Pointchips (or something like that) and these work on all 3 USB-sticks that I own(ed). It's always the same generic Ms 5.00.1868.1 driver no matter how it's called.

There is an interesting article, last updated 1/24/2007, about using the driver for "an older SanDisk USB device" with the newer Cruzer series to work with:

Windows 95 OSR/2.1 ("B" version with USB or later)

Windows 98 with a USB port that is already recognized by the system.

His solution was to "modify the the Plug-And-Play ID numbers to match the one being sent by the Cruzer..."

Working links are provided to download both the modified and unmodified drivers.

http://toastytech.com/files/cruzerwin95.html