How to remove the "Windows security alerts" icon?

yronnen

10. Get rid of the Security Centre.

The security centre is a very annoying feature with a built in pop up. If it annoys you too, get rid of it like this.

1. Start/Run and type cmd

2. Type cd\

3. Type cd windows\system32

4. As a user, Run these commands, If you have followed the tweak above, you can just go straight in and rename them:

a. takeown /f wscapi.dll

b. takeown /f wscsvc.dll

c. takeown /f wscui.cpl

This has given you ownership of the three files. Enter the System32 directory via Windows Explorer and right click each of these three files. Go to the Properties/Security Tab and edit/add an entry for everyone and give them all full access. (tick all the squares). Rename these three files with a BAK extension. In Start/Run type services.msc and disable the Security Center Service.

If you want to commit to getting rid of it all together, go to a Command prompt (in Accessories) and type

REG DELETE HKLM\SYSTEM\CURRENTCONTROLSET\SERVICES\WSCSVC /F

AND THEN ENTER. Now reboot and the OS is all yours.

Edited by dAbReAkA

I don't think you need to do any file system gymnastics to get rid of this or reg editing, and you don't even need to turn off the security service. How I did it: While logged in as the 'Administrator', Start up the Security Center - in the menu on the left click on 'Change the way Security Center alerts me"...then in the window that pops up click the "Don't notify me and don't display an icon (Not Recommended)' item.

BTW, don't disable the security center service, let it start normally, but if you don't want an item then turn the item off, but not the whole service. Some people don't see a problem with disabling the security center service but there are some hidden pitfalls, like at times Vista may not connect to SSL enabled sites, May have problems supporting third party firewalls, may have problems supporting AV and anti-spyware stuff, etc... They will apear to work but in some cases they will not actually be working correctly......because third party apps are going to need to interface with the security service in some way or at least thats the plan. Like for example, Symantec recently complained about not being able to replace the Vista security console with their own, their security console in order to replace the one in Vista so their software will work will need to interface with the security service.

Edited by Spooky