Editing WINNTBBU.DLL For Dummies

• 1 month later...

Thanks alot for these post of guides guys. I read alot more than I post, Hopefuly I will get to point where I can actually contribute. But I had a question. I recently conditioned my DLL, but I decided not to use 256 color. And it worked fine. I was wondering if anyone else has tried this and had any future problems. BTW my winntbbu.dl_ is like freaking 1.27MB when compressed but it still works. I'll post after I finsih screwing around with it.

• 2 weeks later...
Ogre, can you please post a link to your matrix winntbbu.dll file. It's very cool, thanks. :rolleyes:

i'm still working on it, but as soon as its done, i'll post link.

Did you do more work on that? I would really need your custom setup interface even if it's not finished it's still looking great :D . Could you post it please, pretty please? :)

OK, coupla more questions for the tech savy guys....

- Has anyone figured out a way to remove the progress bar and the text that goes with it (i.e. "Setup will take approximately 39 minutes")?

Heres what i've got so far. i would like to change the text to a green and remove the status bar crap.

Ok as far as the text that goes along with "Setup will complete, blah blah blah...thats in winnt32u.dll/a.dll (dunno which one, but since we're editing winntbbu.dll i assume its winnt32u.dll)...Ok, goto

String Table 67

Im not 100% sure, but I think 1059 is the bar, dont quote me on that, but it looks like it could be the only thing

And If anyone wants to get real sneaky and doesnt wanna have to remember their product code...

check out

Bitmap 106

To verify that a changed Bitmap 106 is in place, goto Dialog 144 you should see your replaced bmp

Ok back to winntbbu.dll

I used killerbee's winntbbu.dll that they removed all text, I then used the original to put back the original test of Collecting Information and whatnot (the 5 menu items on the left side) and changed font and background to my liking. I did not like have "installation will complete", nor the Press Esc to exit so those are removed. So basically I am left with the background and the 5 menu items, does anyone have a suggestion for what I should rename the 5 menu items, should I remove them altogether, the background I am using is like bliss.jpg, just wanted some input.

evilvoice,

What about the "Setup will complete...." text that appears when you are installing by booting from the cd. I edited both winnt32u.dll/a.dll and removed the text. It works fine if I start the installation within windows by clicking winnt32.exe/.msi. But when I boot from the cd, I still get the "Setup will complete..." message. Yes I ran the makecab program and added the compressed files to I386. I even edited the winntbbu.dll file, compressed and added it too.

Thanks.

hmmm, well I dunno.I can only try by running winnt32.exe as I dont wanna make the iso yet until Im done changing things. When I ran it tho, it loaded up the changed winntbbu.dll and winnt32u.dll. Since people talked that winntbbu.dll works on boot by replacing the file, I assumed winnt32u.dll would have the same effect (I actually dont believe you ever edit winnt32a.dll, I only put that in there because I wasnt sure what peope tested winntbb?.dll and their experience on which one boots). Also, try leaving it uncompressed, and dont overwrite the .dl_ The way setup is supposed to work is its supposed to first look for uncompressed file, then the compressed one and uncompress it. If you havent noticed, some people have some things compressed while others dont (for instance - svcpack.inf, I have svcpack.in_), but it was my understanding, from another thread on another board, that if you leave a file uncompressed, windows will use that instead.

Another thing to consider, I did a props on both files, and they say its a renamed winnt32.exe file, so maybe the answer is within there.

I recently managed to download and test Ogre's WINNTBBU files and had a running setup using just the cab file version on a slipstreamed XP Pro and home CD, i recently updated the OEM install files and since then whenever i start an install all I get in place of the text per line is the hex id 3g 1f 3e etc instead of displaying the text... anyone know what would cause this, i replaced the files directly into the iso image and still it gives the same problem, windows loads pperfectly BTW...

I found out how to modify the text "Setup will complete...." text that appears during setup when you boot from the cd.

Edit the syssetup.dll file.

String Table 74, then line 1178

Edit to your liking then run makecab and replace existing file in I386 folder. Make ISO and test. Your text should be changed, mine is. I'm not sure about the progress bar yet.

Hope this helps.