windows 2000 custom boot screens

• 3 months later...

I haven't tried doing this though, If you do, try disabling Windows File Protection during installation by using Nlite, this might help.

I have been successful in changing all the icons/wallpapers to Vista :wub: in Win 2000 sp4 roll-up 1, modifype'd, cabbeb and placed back in /i386 folder for installation BUT when I touched the ntoskrn.exe to modify bootscreen, win2k installation fails :no: .

What I did was change everything (icons on shell32.dll, mydocs, etc) except ntoskrnl.exe, after it boots up i copied a renamed ntoskrnl and let BOOT.INI point to the modded kernel.

Even people I personally knew never guessed the OS that I was using, (their guess was mod'ed XP, or Vista :whistle: ).

I would love to post a screenshot but I'm using Win2003 now, if my current setup freezes and needs re-install then I would have an excuse to install win 2000 to get a screenie - I would even PM you.

For those who would want to start right away here are the list of win2000 files that I changed the icons to Vista:

access.cpl

appwiz.cpl

calc.exe

desk.cpl

explorer.exe

timedate.cpl

netshell.dll

mydocs.dll

mmsys.cpl

main.cpl

joy.cpl

sysdm.cpl

irprops.cpl

intl.cpl

hdwwiz.cpl

keymgr.cpl

mspaint.exe

msimn.exe

notepad.exe

msgina.dll

mstask.dll

CharMap.exe

DfrgRes.dll

shell32.dll

sndrec32.exe

sndvol32.exe

inetcpl.cpl

wuaucpl.cpl

telephon.cpl

sticpl.cpl

powercfg.cpl

mobsync.exe

msinfo32.exe

ntbackup.exe

cmd.exe

cleanmgr.exe

icons in win2k sticpl.cpl are also found in w2k3 wiashext.dll

One of the reasons why I left w2k for w2k3 is that it has serious disabilities, like Civilization IV won't run. Other reasons are IE7 & WMP10/11, more difficult to install MSJava 5.0.810. Aside from these, win 2000 is a LEAN and MEAN machine, it even supports "raw sockets" :ph34r:.

I was even watching a forum thread at OSBETA (now offline or somebody new is hosting it) about changing the looks and upgrading the kernel of win2000 (much as what some are doing with win98X spearheaded by MDGx). How I wish some of the more knowledgeable ones would do so with win 2000. The farthest now I guess, is the w2k hotstream project (started by gurgelmeyer and prathapml) by continuing up to Service Pack 5 (unofficial) and download is hosted by Softpedia and Majorgeeks.

Until then...