Red Flashing Power Light, emrgency!

colemancb

This is kind of an emergency, so any response is appreciated ASAP!

My mother has a Presario 6000, and apparently she was just using it and the monitor suddenly went into Power Save mode and she couldn't even hold the button down to shut it off, so she turned off the power strip and now when she tries to turn the computer on, the power light flashes red. I can't really troubleshoot it since I'm away at school, but I didn't find anything on Google. She said her proc fan doesn't even spin or anything, I'm thinking some bad RAM maybe? Feedback is appreciated.

If its a bad PSU, it wouldn't even power on.

My guess is that the mainboard has blowed its stack :P due to a power spike most likely.

Investing in a surge board is great!

Edited by undeadsoldier

If by that you mean power strip, then she has one (that is a surge protector). I'm afraid her proc is bad, just because of it not even starting that up. And she can't even find the model number (ugh) so I can't get on Compaq support.

Sounds like power supply (leaky capacitors) I had an HP PSU do that once, when you hit the power button

the power light comes on for about one second and then goes out (comes on -goes out, comes on - goes out). And if it is the power supply, get one from Newegg, not Compaq. It will be less expensive and

more reliable. The HP one that I replaced was a micro-ATX style rated at 145 Watts! Never saw a power supply rated as low as 145 watts in a desk top.

Edited by RJM

Thanks, RJARRRPCGP. I wouldn't expect that to happen on a PC purchased from Compaq (or any other commercial PC for that matter). A bit of a family crisis is happening though, so we can't take care of it at the moment but thanks for all the help!