Uninstall Nightmare

LiquidHonesty

I have a fresh install of XP SP2 on my system as I just got a new Intel Core 2 Duo. Anyhow, I installed XPize 4.5.1 and all went fine. I, however, decided I wanted to remove it because I was going to try out StyleXP, and here's when the nightmare hit.

After removal, anything relating to IE gives me a WININET error. IE won't even open websites you type in, won't download files, etc. Other programs, such as MSN Messenger also give me this error.

I have System Retore turned off, since it hardly ever works anyhow...so my only option was to reinstlal XPize. I did this...restored the "look" but I still get this error doing about anything, thus my machine is basically unsable (I'm posting this from another machine...).

I checked my backups, and there is NO backup of this file, which I find odd since other threads I read on here looking for help said it does in fact edit this file. But there's NO WININET backup.

So, anyonly have any solutions or am I going to have to "repair" windows with a repair install? I'm NEVER using XPIZE again if it's this easy to mess up your system, sheesh. Anyone have any ideas?

I'm not currently at home, but as far as I can remember, XPize does not touch wininet.dll. I have to check.

I read on a thread on here (might of been Neowin) that it does. Even after the repair Device Manager gave an error. So I did a complete format/reinstall to fix it.

Note, this is the 2nd machine this happened on as I tried it on another machine that DID have system restore turned on so I could roll it back. Both had the same problems.

I've checked. Yes, XPize patches wininet. I think I should remove it in next version. By the way, wininet.dll is only installed if IE7 and MSN Messenger are not found. Are you in any of these cases?

I've checked. Yes, XPize patches wininet. I think I should remove it in next version. By the way, wininet.dll is only installed if IE7 and MSN Messenger are not found. Are you in any of these cases?

Both machines have IE7, and one had MSN Messenger......one did not. I had a feeling it might of been a problem with IE7 because Firefox worked fine. I tried uninstalling IE7 but it still threw the error by that point :(

Thanks for the advice!