[deleted]

EchoNoise

I would not worry too much about cooling. Most ITX chipsets are designed to produce a minimum amount of heat. If I am not mistaken many ITX boards also have an integrated processor that does not produce much heat.

I am not sure if I would go completely fanless though. I would have maybe one thermal controlled exhaust. Also be sure to keep cable clutter to a minimum.(I am sure this will not even be a problem for your setup.)

Other thoughts:

256mb of ram should be plenty for your purpose.

Also I think you can find a premade case that fits your size requirements if you look hard. (but this takes the fun out of doing it yourself.)

I would not worry too much about cooling. Most ITX chipsets are designed to produce a minimum amount of heat. If I am not mistaken many ITX boards also have an integrated processor that does not produce much heat.

I am not sure if I would go completely fanless though. I would have maybe one thermal controlled exhaust. Also be sure to keep cable clutter to a minimum.(I am sure this will not even be a problem for your setup.)

Other thoughts:

256mb of ram should be plenty for your purpose.

Also I think you can find a premade case that fits your size requirements if you look hard. (but this takes the fun out of doing it yourself.)

Read the manufacturer's specifications for the board to ascertain the cooling requirements.

• 1 month later...

"10/100Mbps Ethernet two ports"

D*mn nice indeed!

I think people here, well at least me, would like to see a review on it, like what’s on the inside (if it doesn’t void Warranty ;)) and how it performs. One thing I would like to know if you can throw in more RAM...

it looks really nice, theres probably a way to get windows on it too, if you can order it with a swap partition.

with a 2.5" drive you could probably [not easily though] get a larger drive in there. it would take quite a bit of trouble to do it though. im not entirely sure as to if the way im thinking of would work.

it looks really nice, theres probably a way to get windows on it too, if you can order it with a swap partition.

You can install everything you want on it ;). It accepts external CD/DVD, boots from USB sticks and other devices.

i've used slower, but i wouldn't want to run windows XP on it. 2k is fine, same with anything before then, but XP has too many services that kinda overwork 800MHz..at my schools radio station we run windows XP on 866MHz processors, which is bad enough [when the server goes down, its down and out] the best computer down there is a rack mount 2.66GHz P4, with two highspeed fans in the back to make up for the lack of a heatsink. its quite liteally, 1.25 inches tall, everything is onboard from audio to LAN, it sports a CD drive and a floppy drive.

too bad its a little loud for the studios.

but honestly, its XP, my PC has a 1.1GHz processor and its slow enough with XP, and i really don't use it for much.

That thing will run Windows just fine anyday... 800MHz will do just about anything you want.

The only thing that it might not be able to handle is decoding H.264. I remember a review of a similar setup a while back that they wanted to make into a tiny HTPC, and the only thing it couldn't do was that.

*me wants*

There is an 1GHz version, but also isn’t fast enough for real-time coding of H.264. But who cares, there are external USB solutions for it :).

@ bonestonne,

This CPU is a lot newer, e.g. later generation, CPU. It has the same level as a PIV and is way better then a PIII. You know that MHz/GHz doesn’t say any thing about processing speed. 1.4GHz Sempron64 will outperform a Celeron @ 2.4GHz or even 2.8GHz (General Benchmarks).