[deleted]

EchoNoise

i could make the same sort of things out of pieces i've gotten out of the dump. of course it wouldn't run straight SATA, i'd need a dongle, but it would be feasable. that basically means, about $15...not to mention a cheap case, either that or just the old computer downstairs...i think its got a 466MHz processor...

but it is a good idea, it would be able to ease the stress of the web on whatever your main computer would be, also running linux would drop the risk of viruses from who knows how many to about 2? i'm pretty sure linux only has 2. doesn't matter, they make avast for linux, so thats even less to worry about :thumbup

i like it [the idea and fact that you're doing it]

just put it all in a cereal box :lol:

but wowser, i didn't realize it was that small.

plexiglas wouldn't really be ideal for that sort of thing, i've got a plexiglas case in the [slow] making for a dual socket Xeon server mobo, and thats big. you could fit two of those nano mobos on one of my xeons :lol:

i'd say just find some small metal box and drill holes in it, because for that size, even though it would be pretty easy to use plexiglas, its not really practical...do remember grounding :thumbup

Looks like a perfect config for a headless box. Good job :) Often I find myself looking at someone's hardware list for such a device and wondering what they think they'll get with such overabundance of ram, processor capacity, etc.

The last time I had a headless device was for a NAT, firewall, DHCP, DNS cache, FTP and Telnet box with some file sharing functionality. I used an HP Vectra XA/166 -- Pentium original 166mmx underclocked to 90mhz (the 166mhz chip ran on less voltage than the 90mhz chip did, ha!), 96mb of ram, a pair of 3C905b NICs and an old Adaptec 1540 PCI SCSI card with an outboard storage cube. It came with an 85W power supply, and was about the size of a VCR give or take.

I had uptime in excess of 400 days on that dinky little box loaded with WinXP and the standard firewall software. Actually the OS would have help up for quite a bit longer, but my software RAID-0 stripe set died when one of the SCSI drives in the external storage thing puked. I had to reboot the box to reconfig it all.

Using a very low power (and not great performing) processor is perfect for these kinds of tasks. Saves money too :)

yea, the whole idea to get god knows how much ram is kinda stupid....if you run a mac G5 solely for video editing, thats different, but if your running an average PC with more than say, 640MB of ram, theres something outta wack in your head. my computers going to run on 256mb of ram [a pair of 128's] and the dual core, thats going to get 640 i guess spaced in 4 slots [three 128s, one 256] and thats only because its going to run wireless internet, adobe audition, and winamp, WMP and maybe a media pack seemingly nonstop. it should be getting a 150-200W pack, no need for more really, with a single ODD, one FDD and maybe two HDD's, what do i need 600W for?

woot for minimalism :lol:

:thumbup 256 runs XP great, linux would be more than fine with it....

the only thing is that desoldiering the ports you don't want to damage the board, i would just leave the board as is, and just not use it, its not going to pose a problem with them there, unused ports are just that. how would you explain it if the wrong diode heats up, comes off and you end up sending it back?

its kinda smarter to just leave it

Well I want it really small aswell! the nano is 12x12

The cooling fan of 12cm would be the same size :D:P.

But I think 650 US$ (before you posted 700 US$) is a load of money, you can build a complete system with that including a 19" TFT screen. Okay, it will be like 24.4 cm x 24.4 cm an AMD AM2 Sempron 2800+ or so.

If I was you I would build a "normal" system and make it a gateway/firewall too, okay it’s bigger but still you could make it unique ;).

@ LLXX,

I think he did forget about the powersupply and cooling :P.

Still it needs cooling dude ;). "Its a fanless system", so is my video card and motherboard, but I would NOT put it in a box without a fan. You could always try it and see how stable it will be. Let me know how things turn out in a few months :).

u need a fan! and thats final! fanless just means that you dont have to put a fan directly on the heatsink. but what happens when the heatsink is vry hot and has no way of cooling down? then ur f***ed. get at least a single if not two 120mm fans for your case, for air in and air out. and the cpu isnt the only part that makes alot of heat. there is the chipset, other crap on the mobo such as power stuff, the hdd, vid card, dvd rom, etc.