More Modifications...

Explorer-1.jpg

Amazing! I just set about skinning my Windows 98 system and came across this forum! Anyway, my attempt is above and the Flickr photoset is here.

What I am really interested in is getting rid of that awful rectangle around the start button. Which registry key do you need to modify?

Edit: I like the way your taskbar looks by the way! :thumbup

Edited by ZSXZSX

Thanks for your kind comments! :blushing:

How did you change the background of the explorer where File Edit and so on is?

I had that program on my old pc but I forgot the name.

It wasn't a program, but a simple registry edit. I recommend Virtual Plastic for freeware advice on how to skin Win98SE (and more recent OSes too).

I quote:

"With IE4+ installed you can define a bitmap to be displayed behind your toolbars, in explorer and internet explorer:

* Open regedit and find the key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar;

* Select, and on the right, rightclick and add a new string value, name it "BackBitmap";

* Rightclick on it, choose modify;

* Specify the path to your bitmap (.bmp !) and close.

If you've got IE5 installed, the BackBitmap still works then. But you may insert another string value called "BackBitmapIE5". The normal one will work for your general explorer windows; the new bitmap is specific for IE5 and Outlook!

Running IE6, or using Windows XP, though it comes with IE6, the BackBitmapIE5 value is still the same, but the string value for the explorer toolbar is now called "BackBitmapShell" (same key). Still, BackBitmap works too."

As it says, with IE6 and Win98 you can specify two different bitmaps. I'm using the green one for the general explorer window, and a blue one for Outlook Express. Going on the screenshots from places like Winsupersite and IStartedSomething, it looks like there are actually 4 different colours for the toolbars in Vista: silver (applications), green (file explorer), black (media) and blue (PIM stuff).

Anyway, it's a work in progress... today I changed the HTML code for the explorer shell (as well as the webview details pane graphic on the left), the mouse cursors and the default system font to Segoe UI.

Webview-1.jpg

Still hate the box around the start button!

Edited by ZSXZSX

Amazing! I just set about skinning my Windows 98 system and came across this forum! Anyway, my attempt is above, and the Flickr photoset is here.

What I am really interested in is getting rid of that awful rectangle around the start button. Which registry key do you need to modify?

Edit: I like the way your taskbar looks by the way! :thumbup

Good work, man! My button and taskbar was modded with modifications on hexcode of explorer.exe, and the design of borders as a "flat" design on shadows/lights colors...

Can you send me the Vista Icons?

Edited by Máquina

Aero 98 Beta 2. Explorer buttons and startbutton in test.....

Need help to create a dll, or other way to apply a wallpaper/grayrect on the notify icons area (On tray)....

One of things I know about that is the routine CreateWindowEx, and the attributes of there.... But ResHacker or other don't give me access to that.....

Thanks to Tihiy for the hexcode for the buttons of explorer... Now they're on 36x36px....

post-111332-1161414200_thumb.jpg