using nlite to make user accounts

anonymous_user

i noticed this feature in the new 1.2 beta and i have a couple of questions:

1. does this in any way(s) affect Out of Box Experience (since u can create accounts there too)?

2. can i use nlite to add a user but then tell OOBE not to create any users (i dont want to remove OOBE tho)?

Haven't tested it but as long as you don't enter same name in both nlite and oobe you'll be fine.

Just choose to autologon with some user created in nlite and oobe will be skipped.

If not let me know.

I've made several ISOs with nlite 1.2 so far. I dont mess with the User settings and leave them as default. Sometimes the Out-Of-Box Experience works as it should and prompts me for a new username, and sometimes it does not and instead asks me to login as administrator. (which i don't want)

I just want nlite to run the OOBE like normal and prompt me for a new user. I've noticed under the "Users" tab there is a checkbox in "Options" labled "Active". What does this mean exactly? Does it mean that this is the default account? Do I uncheck "Active" for all accounts to get OOBE to prompt me during install for a new User? (Which is waht I want)

testing now.

LAST_SESSION.INI

I've noticed under the "Users" tab there is a checkbox in "Options" labled "Active". What does this mean exactly? Does it mean that this is the default account? Do I uncheck "Active" for all accounts to get OOBE to prompt me during install for a new User?

After testing, this does not appear to be the purpose of the "Active" checkbox. Someone enlighten me.

However I did manage to get OOBE to work after I changed the automatic-updates back to default. Now it all seems to work!

LAST_SESSION.INI

msdemich, nice find. It's true that OOBE relies also on Autoupdate option which prompts after install but I didn't know it could alone be the cause of skipping OOBE.

Going to review that and make an option to ensure OOBE runs with a single click in one of the next versions.

Thanks!

Could you tell me what the "Active" checkbox is for?

BTW, this version of nLite seems to run great! The theme feature is especially cool. Though it would import my present theme "VistaXP", it won't let me select the "grey text" color scheme. (sub-scheme?) No big deal though.

The standalone theme is here: http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?...ghlight=vistaxp

But I got the theme from a themepack

http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?...ghlight=vistaxp

This themepack was installed as an addon with an older nLite ISO on the the computer I am using with nLite 1.2 to compile the new ISO with VistaXp as the default theme. (I really hope that made sense... 2 computers)

I think I might have found the problem. The VistaXP theme I am running on my compiling computer is older (i believe) than the version in the themepack. So -though I set VistaXp a certain way through nLite- the theme files are replaced by the theme addon pack and I end up with different color schemes.

BTW: I've been using this tool for about 9 months and created hundreds of different ISOs with drivers, addons, etc. I'm still amazed at how well it works. The design and functionality keeps getting better. I'm suprised Microsoft hasn't yet 'acquired' you up like the Sysinternals guys.

Edited by msdemich

msdemich, thanks for the compliments.

So what is the conclusion on this theme, it's actually ok but you tried different versions or it is really bugged? I'm ready to fix if you confirm the problem.