How to do raid drivers and hotfixes correctly.

webmedic

yes your config filea are not the ones I use and they should be fine.

here is my 1 dir

1\KB820291.EXE
1\KB821253.EXE
1\KB821557.EXE
1\KB823559.EXE
1\KB823980.EXE
1\Q322011.EXE
1\Q323255.EXE
1\Q327979.EXE
1\Q328310.EXE
1\Q329048.EXE
1\Q329115.EXE
1\Q329170.EXE
1\Q329390.EXE
1\Q329834.EXE
1\Q810565.EXE
1\Q810833.EXE
1\Q811493.EXE
1\Q814033.EXE
1\Q814995.EXE
1\Q815021.EXE
1\Q815485.EXE
1\Q817606.EXE

2 dir

2\js56nen.EXE
2\KB822964.EXE
2\q330994.EXE
2\Q810577.EXE
2\q818529.EXE
2\q822925.EXE

and my 3 dir

3\Q823718_.EXE

so just a quick look says you have a few hotfixes in you 1'st dir that I dont have. Namely KB824105.EXE

as for dir 2 I have one you dont. This one Q810577.EXE. Not shure exactly what those are but try using the ones I use

hm not sure why it is there. Yup i checked it out and I had the wrong dir for it. Thanks for finding that. Wonder why I never noticed it. Well now I'm in for it. that one thing will probalby break it all when i stuff it into the right directory.

rm is actaully well it is kind of like deltree but I found that as I ran the script the supported command was rd or rmdir which ships with windows xp. Only problem is that the permissions were set funny on the directories so that rmdir would not touch them.

So rm is a little unix util that also happens to be in the microsoft system extras that are not usually installed. It is just a much more powerfull version of deltree. It simply deletes things without barfing about perms and junk.

on a linux box you never want to type

rm -rf /*

that will remove recursive folders and files starting at your root drive and it wont stop till it deletes itself. then it will finaly stop.

Some more questions - Just for good messure :rolleyes:

1) Dosnet.inf - I don't know what this file is for so do i need to include it? What would be the result of me not including it? and would it be safe to use the version from my current install cd?

2) TXTSETUP.sif - Is this file only modified for including the raid drivers? , do i need to worry about your version breaking something in my setup? I have not made any changes to my version of this file.

3) Have you used this method to install some of the recommend updates? like the messenger 4.7 and the moviemaker upgrade? if so how have you named those files in your dir 1 & 2. If not what are your thoughs on this.

4) Has the problem with the mdac been fixed? if not is it safe to remove it from the #3 folder and install it using a batch file under guirunonce method ?

5) The Log reports the below errors during the "delete unwanted files from extract folder." section of the proccess. Have i missed something ?

Could Not Find C:\prep\4\*WinM*.*
Could Not Find C:\prep\4\*WinN*.*
Deleted file - C:\prep\4\Q330994_me.cat
Deleted file - C:\prep\4\Q822925_me.cat
Could Not Find C:\prep\4\dahotfix.*
Could Not Find C:\prep\4\*_252.dll
Could Not Find C:\prep\4\*_253.dll
Could Not Find C:\prep\4\*_262.dll
Could Not Find C:\prep\4\odbc32_2*
Could Not Find C:\prep\4\odbcbcp_2*
Could Not Find C:\prep\4\odbccp32_2*
Could Not Find C:\prep\4\sqloledb_2*
Could Not Find C:\prep\4\sqlsrv32_2*
Could Not Find C:\prep\4\sp2\*.pdb
Could Not Find C:\prep\4\sp2\spmsg.*
Could Not Find C:\prep\4\sp2\hotfix.*
Could Not Find C:\prep\4\sp2\spuninst.*
Could Not Find C:\prep\4\sp2\empty.*
Could Not Find C:\prep\4\sp2\eula.*
Could Not Find C:\prep\4\sp2\spcustom.*
Could Not Find C:\prep\4\sp2\xpsp*.exe
Could Not Find C:\prep\4\sp2\sp1
Could Not Find C:\prep\4\sp2\*WinM*.*
Could Not Find C:\prep\4\sp2\*WinN*.*
Could Not Find C:\prep\4\sp2\*_me.cat
Could Not Find C:\prep\4\sp2\dahotfix.*
Could Not Find C:\prep\4\sp2\*_252.dll
Could Not Find C:\prep\4\sp2\*_253.dll
Could Not Find C:\prep\4\sp2\*_262.dll
Could Not Find C:\prep\4\sp2\odbc32_2*
Could Not Find C:\prep\4\sp2\odbcbcp_2*
Could Not Find C:\prep\4\sp2\odbccp32_2*
Could Not Find C:\prep\4\sp2\sqloledb_2*
Could Not Find C:\prep\4\sp2\sqlsrv32_2*

Sorry for all the questions :)

Some more questions - Just for good messure :rolleyes:

1) Dosnet.inf - I don't know what this file is for so do i need to include it? What would be the result of me not including it? and would it be safe to use the version from my current install cd?

2) TXTSETUP.sif - Is this file only modified for including the raid drivers? , do i need to worry about your version breaking something in my setup? I have not made any changes to my version of this file.

3) Have you used this method to install some of the recommend updates? like the messenger 4.7 and the moviemaker upgrade? if so how have you named those files in your dir 1 & 2. If not what are your thoughs on this.

4) Has the problem with the mdac been fixed? if not is it safe to remove it from the #3 folder and install it using a batch file under guirunonce method ?

5) The Log reports the below errors during the "delete unwanted files from extract folder." section of the proccess. Have i missed something ?

Could Not Find C:\prep\4\*WinM*.*
Could Not Find C:\prep\4\*WinN*.*
Deleted file - C:\prep\4\Q330994_me.cat
Deleted file - C:\prep\4\Q822925_me.cat
Could Not Find C:\prep\4\dahotfix.*
Could Not Find C:\prep\4\*_252.dll
Could Not Find C:\prep\4\*_253.dll
Could Not Find C:\prep\4\*_262.dll
Could Not Find C:\prep\4\odbc32_2*
Could Not Find C:\prep\4\odbcbcp_2*
Could Not Find C:\prep\4\odbccp32_2*
Could Not Find C:\prep\4\sqloledb_2*
Could Not Find C:\prep\4\sqlsrv32_2*
Could Not Find C:\prep\4\sp2\*.pdb
Could Not Find C:\prep\4\sp2\spmsg.*
Could Not Find C:\prep\4\sp2\hotfix.*
Could Not Find C:\prep\4\sp2\spuninst.*
Could Not Find C:\prep\4\sp2\empty.*
Could Not Find C:\prep\4\sp2\eula.*
Could Not Find C:\prep\4\sp2\spcustom.*
Could Not Find C:\prep\4\sp2\xpsp*.exe
Could Not Find C:\prep\4\sp2\sp1
Could Not Find C:\prep\4\sp2\*WinM*.*
Could Not Find C:\prep\4\sp2\*WinN*.*
Could Not Find C:\prep\4\sp2\*_me.cat
Could Not Find C:\prep\4\sp2\dahotfix.*
Could Not Find C:\prep\4\sp2\*_252.dll
Could Not Find C:\prep\4\sp2\*_253.dll
Could Not Find C:\prep\4\sp2\*_262.dll
Could Not Find C:\prep\4\sp2\odbc32_2*
Could Not Find C:\prep\4\sp2\odbcbcp_2*
Could Not Find C:\prep\4\sp2\odbccp32_2*
Could Not Find C:\prep\4\sp2\sqloledb_2*
Could Not Find C:\prep\4\sp2\sqlsrv32_2*

Sorry for all the questions  :)

1) yes has to be there. Or else your hotfixes will not be installed correctly. No the file is modfied to allwo for hotfixes so the curent one will not work.

2) Yes it is only modified for third party raid ocntrolers. So this is not essential.

3) n othis is not for that and i have been talking to sepheris and it seems that allot of those things are not ment to be slipstreamed that way but I still do include them in the gui part of the setup through an inf file I usae to install dx9, movie maker 2, .net1.1, setup user stuff, thiings like that.

4) Yes I have the mdac istall fixed. It wont install like the others but I found a way arround it.

5) well it's using a bunch of predetermined names of files and they are not in every directory so yes that is normal.

I'm doing a final test now and then I'll post some new installer files for you all to paly with then you can all have an installer just like mine if you want. Consider it beta if you wnat but I have used it many times. In the future I will add to my installer scripts to make it a compete install setup app. That is it will do hotfixes and compile all the bits and parts for you. I'm looking at includeing a few oyther tools seen here in these forums like the winnt.sif file tool and a few other things. It should turn out really nice.

Thank you, for putting into words what I had only been thinking about doing.

I had looked at the hotfix slipstreaming since I started slipstreaming last year, and was always detered by the tediousness, not to mention the warnings in all info I could find about it. My reasons were two fold: 1) To insure that the CD and the instalation had the same files, thus if windows file protection should really need to get back, the right version was on the CD, and not inside some hot fix. 2) Reduce the 30 minutes or so it seems to take to run the hotfixes (never figured out why it works so quicky when doing it from the Windows Update site). Part 1 is solved, but the hot fixes are still run, each and every one. (Sure takes a long tiome to go from 13 to 12 minutes left.) The point of my drawn out post is that whilst running the hotfixes during the instalation, it leaves behind many log files (Q??????.log) and copies of the cat files (SET??.tmp) all over the %SYSTEMROOT%. If you want to keep the install clean and minimailist, you may want to add the command to delete this files.

And again, thanks for sharing.

hm really I had not looked I will say it is cleaner than if these had been done any other method. Have you ever looked into %SYSTEMROOT% after you have been running it a while those little hotfixes make quite the mess. At any rate I could easily add some commands to clean it up nice and tidy. Thanks I had not looked at it.