Having More Memory Speed Opposed Processing Speed

Atmosphere XG

I'll take a shot at this, since the trolls seem to be out right now.

The only downfall is that the weak link is your proc. 1GHz of memory certainly isn't going to hurt things, but you'll never see the full benefits with only 400MHz pushing the rig. Hope this helps ;)

Thanks for the replies although I didn't know such a question would be considered trolling. :no:

The reason I asked, is due to seeing a lot of posts from Windows 98 users buying Motherboards and installing it on their new Computers. Where I'm just using my old Computer.

In addition to looking at the Specs of many computers offering RAM capacity slightly below the Processing Speed. I'm well aware of the system.ini -> vcache trick to increase my RAM.

However, I just wanted to make sure there wasn't an exception to Processing Speed before adding more RAM.

For the Internet, 400 Mhz its fast enough. But when you have multiple tabs open, it really takes it's toll on the RAM availability. I'm not trying to play music, movies or games. Just basic Internet surfing.

I have another Computer solely designed for Music, and I rather buy DVDs before trying to view one on a Computer. Lost all interest in Games 18 years ago.

So, for my situation, 400 Mhz is fine. ;)

Thanks Again!

Aww, c'mon. Install something like Return Of Arcade and play a little PacMan! Maybe new stuff seems a bit too complicated to me, but once I fire up an old addictive favorite like that the old gamer in me wants more.

Funny, I don't think 16 bit stuff like that would run on Vista! Ya know, problems like that will make me avoid running Vista as my sole operating system. There is no way I'll repurchase revised Vista compatible versions when I already own these simple games.

By the way, for just music, viewing movies, and even a bit more complex game playing you're current processor is fine. I wouldn't run Doom 3 on that but plenty of pretty good games were made during that processor speed's heyday. The memory boost can only help.

I understand what you said about gaming. As far as doing lot's of stuff at the same time, you'll likely get less slowdown with more memory. And with low processor speeds 98SE is less demanding than XP just running the operating system and hardware itself. Result: Install XP and things will seem slower, but then again you could open and run a ton of stuff without running out of resources.

I still don't understand the need for folks having a ton of web pages open at the same time, along with their music, a movie, and a couple of games running at the same time. How much can one person do at the same time? One or two browser windows and some music is fine for me. When I want to watch a movie, why in the world would I need anything else running? When I'm done with the DVD is it too much trouble to open my browser or email program and catch up? Of course not!

Unless you're an octopus, 98SE has plenty of oomph to it to run a few sensible combinations of things at the same time. Some folks today should eat less sugar and turn off the TV. And let their kid's be kid's at least until High School. I think there are 4 year old's better at math than I am. I couldn't even talk until I was 4!

And we liked it!!!! Hurrumph.

(Gosh, what set me off?)

Eh, if you're the sort who doesn't enjoy updating things manually then 98SE really isn't for you anymore. You're really not safe on the net without paying attention to what updates have been hacked to install on 98.

With XP you can run most of your older stuff and it just takes installing the OS and going to Windows Update. Well, then installing a few security programs. But I'll admit it is a lot simpler for the lazy in all of us.

Even then, I use the RyanVM Post Service Pack 2 Update Pack as I trust it better than WindowsUpdate to install all the sensible updates properly. Microsoft tends to bork that up once there are too many things between Service Packs.

Anyway, more memory = better. And your processor is fine for what you described as your usage.

In complete agreement with Eck "You forget Eck that newer is better and we must strive to ensure that those who have made a lot of money (os wise) desire to have realistic blood flow,shock factor,the new rock and roll reborn in front of our kids eyes, make the games as though you are commiting the act yourself" (in some perverse dimension hopefully) and fill their pockets as well.

Time to boot up sensi soccer,dungeon master,canon fodder.

Rant over

Atmostphere if your motherboard supports your ram and if its at your maximum bus speed you will only achieve a great benefit

Thanks for your comments Gentlemen!

I do have Miss Pacman in DOS on my Windows XP Computer, when the urge strikes. :D

I just don't find these games so appealing nowadays. Possibly due to looking less like Video Games, and more like Virtual Games with story lines added to make them more realistic?

I do listen to a few audio streams once in a while and every so month checkout You Tube on this Computer.

Having multiple tabs began, when I started saving all my Bookmarks in HTML files. I would store them in My Documents and, open the whole thing on one page. As more pages came of interest, I would build more bookmarks, and save them in a folder according to the closing date.

So, that builds one tab. The second tab would come from having the home page separate from the hyper link page(s). Say, I want to read multiple posts on MSFN Forums. I would open each post in it's own tab. Now, if someone mentions a product, that sounds interesting, I would then open another tab to research the product in question. This is how the tabs accumulate.

I've been online since 1998. So, I'm more into research than trying to watch music

videos on whatever the hottest thing is out there now.

I agree on the speed comparison going from 98 -> XP. I do have a Dell 2.8 Ghz P4 sitting on XP Home and its remarkably slow for the internet compared to this 400 MHZ Win98 CPU.

That's why I only use this computer online and, keep the other two Internet free.

I get a lot of buddies laughing at the beige computer sitting in the living room with the sound of the keyboard "tapping away" when you need to write anything. But, once they give it a test run and see how fast and responsive it's moving about online, it leaves them puzzled. Sure, it's outdated, sure it's on Windows 98 FE, but its fast on the Internet, and turns off in 2 seconds flat. That's the perk about using Windows 98. I’m waiting around a minute for XP Home to start, and 98 FE starts around 10 – 15 seconds.

I have Windows 98 SE on my music computer seeing that the demand is more severe there and, the XP Home on the Dell for whatever the 98 SE can't handle. But Win98 FE is what I use to surf online. And that's its sole purpose, to research online. B)

AdAware Professional SE, Registry First Aid is installed, and, I'm going to get Norton Ghost today, to mimic my hard drive to another drive. Hopefully next week, I get more RAM. :thumbup

Thanks Again!

Edited by Atmosphere XG

"I'm going to get Norton Ghost today, to mimic my hard drive to another drive. Hopefully next week, I get more RAM. "

You can also use xxcopy32 freeware www.xxcopy.com to clone your drive, its the one I use, the site has quite comprehensive info in doing this and also making backups. add your new drive on to your pc,make sure it is a slave, format it then xxcopy32 c: d: /clone (run this command twice to ensure it has copied every file) all done. Assuming d: is your new drives letter. Use with care it is a powerful tool

All the best

• 2 weeks later...