The agony of activation

jpless

First, I empathize with your plight. When activation fails, it really stinks.

Second, however, is the fact that the version of XP you purchased with that machine is very highly likely a PC-vendor-OEM version of XP - this is expected behavior for one of those keys, and I'll explain. You will always be forced to call Microsoft to reactivate your XP install every time. This policy was instituted starting in February of last year, and all versions of Windows XP that are sold or bundled with PCs from OEM PC vendors to end-users are affected - no 6 month grace period (normally, you can reactivate after 6 months from a prior reactivation without issue, at least a few times before it fails completely). This is the reason why your activation is failing, unfortunately, and there isn't anything that you can do to get out of this activation loop short of actually purchasing a retail or "retail" OEM version of XP (and thus getting a non-PC-vendor-OEM key) from a vendor, either online or a brick-and-mortar store.

Vista will be the same, so beware buying Windows with your computer if you're a frequent reinstaller, as you'll have to be more careful with your install. Reinstallation and reactivation will be a pain for anyone with a PC-vendor-OEM product key from now on.

Edited by cluberti

Tnx Cluberti for clearing that up. I did not know. But now I see that I next time I buy windows I will buy it from a store, not with a PC.

What a PITA :( But I really pitty the poor MS employees who have to listening to my complaining every time I call. :P

>the version of XP you purchased with that machine is very highly likely a PC-vendor-OEM version of XP

A Windows XP CD or recovery disk prepared by a Royalty OEM PC vendor never asks for the key even if it is used on the wrong hardware where it will simply never activate. If a key was requested during install then he didn't use the original media. An XP OEM Single User License asks for a key and will accept a side-of-case key. A call to Microsoft will usually get an activation code.

>all versions of Windows XP that are sold or bundled with PCs from OEM PC vendors to end-users are affected

No, the side-of-case keys are all affected because people who knew that they wern't needed for the install were peeling them off and hawking them on eBay as legit licenses for XP OEM Single User. The purchasers of new hardware are slighted because their flashy new computer who's sticker has been stolen is no longer a legit license through no fault of their own. The Royalty CD installs still preactivate correctly and run without issue with the correct hardware.

>there isn't anything that you can do to get out of this activation loop short of actually purchasing a retail or "retail" OEM version of XP

Use the restore disks or the XP install that came with the system and it will install without a key or activation.

>a frequent reinstaller

Frequent reinstallers benefit from Royalty installs. You can change anything but the motherboard without triggering activation. Changing the motherboard triggers activation permanently for the Royalty CD. Install with a XP Single User License and the side-of-case key if you can beg for an activation or buy another one at the office store.

>Reinstallation and reactivation will be a pain for anyone with a PC-vendor-OEM product key from now on.

It's a pain for those who don't use the Royalty prepared media. If an XP install wasn't supplied with the system you can make your own in the thread referenced in the second post.

Stop installing XP from original CD's and you'll never have any problem with Activation, Registration or any other MS bull SxxT.

I do the greatest favor possible for all my customers when installing a new PC for them.

I remove all the BS that's put on by the manufacturer, all the trials, demo's and spyware.

Then I install all my registry tweaks and de-install all the the Services that just are never needed.

Then I install all my cleanup and maintenance programs, anti virus and anti spyware programs.

Then the most important step of all.....I make a Ghost Image of the HD and burn it to a DVD.

That becomes their permanent backup disk for any problem that may develop on down the road.

When I go back for a RE-Tune six months or a year later, I make a new Ghost DVD.

Reinstalling windows XP from any other CD/DVD is just NEVER required.

Install XP, register it once and NEVER again worry about it. Life don't get any easier than that.

Cheers!

Andromeda43 B)

Stop installing XP from original CD's and you'll never have any problem with Activation, Registration or any other MS bull SxxT.

I do the greatest favor possible for all my customers when installing a new PC for them.

I remove all the BS that's put on by the manufacturer, all the trials, demo's and spyware.

Then I install all my registry tweaks and de-install all the the Services that just are never needed.

Then I install all my cleanup and maintenance programs, anti virus and anti spyware programs.

Then the most important step of all.....I make a Ghost Image of the HD and burn it to a DVD.

That becomes their permanent backup disk for any problem that may develop on down the road.

When I go back for a RE-Tune six months or a year later, I make a new Ghost DVD.

Reinstalling windows XP from any other CD/DVD is just NEVER required.

Install XP, register it once and NEVER again worry about it. Life don't get any easier than that.

Cheers!

Andromeda43 B)

True, that's what I do too...

jpless

Just went through your agony....etc. etc.

Next time after you activate, copy and save wpa.dbl file in your system32 directory in some safe place.

Thereafter, whenever you re-install, just copy and paste this file in the system32 directory and re-start the comp. You're done with activation. No more waking up M$ experts from their slumber. :)

The above method is valid for the same hardware config, same partition, same machine and please wear the same shirt when you install to rule out chances of displeasing M$ :lol: This is valid for OEM version (side-sticker serial) and also the retail version of XP.