Which Codec pack is the best?

Lightbringer-

Decoding (audio & video):

- DSFP + ffdshow

- Zoom Player

Encoding (audio):

- Command-line tools + Multi frontend

- Command-line tools + Audiograbber (for audio cds)

- Belight (for AC3)

Encoding (video):

- (Auto) Gordian Knot

- AviSynth

- VirtualDub(Mod)

As long as:

-it has the better/more useful codecs (ffdshow, ac3filters) - preferably the latest versions

-it has none of the problematic codecs (e.g. mmswitch.ax aka morgan stream "crasher" and such) or at least are disabled by default or can be deselected or such (no forced install)

-it's not known to be one of the very problematic codec packs (e.g. nimo)

-it has the codecs for any of the more "esoteric" stuff you want or need (ogm/mkv/flv/ts splitters, ogg/flac audio, qt/real playback, Indeo/On2 VPx/mjpeg/huffyuv video, etc)

-it's tested a LOT and actively maintained/updated

-it offers a decent custom installation (e.g. you can select/deselect stuff you want or not)

-other "nice" extras (like installing MPC/VLC/ZP, various useful utils like GSpot, etc)

XP Codec pack isn't bad, but it's missing some useful stuff IMO (e.g. x264), and some of thoe choices are not so great (GPL mpeg decoder doesn't look too great). Although it has most of what one needs. Not a bad codec pack overall though - perhaps just a little minimalistic.

DSFP seems a little... hmm, barebones? I'd have to add a lot of stuff manually afterwards, like ffdshow, ac3filter, x264, etc. So I personally see it as not so useful (only does half the job).

Some people swear by CCCP (made mainly for the anime folks). No real issues with it, but not my favourite (haven't checked what it includes lately, but back when I tried it they kept using outdated versions of some things, like ac3fitler 0.7 instead of 1.01a or such, and a few common things were missing too). Again, not bad, but noy my pick.

My pick would be K-Lite - the "Full" pack. The "Mega" seems a bit over the top (but very good nonetheless), and the standard & basic versions (haven't seen a "lite") are missing WAY too much stuff.

Oh, and ZoomPlayer WMV Pro as a player ;)

DSFP 2.5 (it's corone's + ffdshow made into a silent installer) and weighs in at only 5.2mb.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=DCIS5U9Q

here's the changelog:

Update 9 / 29 / 06: DSFP 2.5 now available. FFDShow has been upgraded again. There is now an entry made in Add/Remove Programs which will uninstall both DSFP and FFDShow. Removed ugly black CMD prompt from install/uninstall. Installer now resets the DirectShow system in case there are any problems with it.

Update 9 / 18 / 06: DSFP 2.31 now available. CoreFLAC filter replaced with Illiminable FLAC source filter. It is faster and more stable.

Update 9 / 15 / 06: DSFP 2.2 now available. Mpasplitter.ax is downgraded to a much more stable version. FFDShow upgraded to latest MMX build. Next update will include a more stable FLAC filter.

hmm...oke o_O