Nothing serious - but **** annoying! Any advice?

Dr. Mac

Hello and greetings folks

I wonder if any of your Win98se experts can help me.

This is NOT critical! :P

But it is annoying and I wonder if there is a fix.

O.K.

When I right-click on my desktop a little menu pops up, and then when I point to "New >> whatever ... " (it could be a new .txt file or folder I can to create) my floppy drive goes bananas!

What do I mean by that?

Well ... it's hard to expalin ... but it starts to make that noise as if it is looking for a floppy ....

datta bzzz-datta bzzz-datta bzzz (I hope you have at least some idea of the sort of "bzzz sounds" I'm talking about!)

It's not just one "clunk" sound. It's that sound when you try to send a document or whatever to a floppy but there is NO floppy in the drive. (As you know, it goes bananas for several seconds and then a box pops up saying there is no floppy in the drive and asking you if you want to retry etc.)

Well, when using the method above to create a new (whatever - text document) that's the same sound my floppy drive makes. No, it doesn't pop up the box saying there is no floppy in the drive, but the bzzzz-bzzzzz sound it makes as if it were looking for a floppy is the same.

And it shouldn't be doing that when all one is trying to do is create a new document or folder !!!

Any ideas or suggestions folks?

Dr. Mac

Edited by Dr. Mac

Good morning Guys 'n gals!

Well ... here is some good news ...

Thanks to RainyShadow and MDGx .... using a combination of the methods you suggested seems to have worked a treat.

There were quite a lot of documents listed on that right-click "New" menu, so using TweakUI I removed all of them. Then I used MDGx's trick of clearning all "Recent". Did a reboot, went back to TweakUI and just added the only two "New" types that I want - New Folder and new Text document.

Seems to have worked a treat. No more "bzzz-clugga-clugga-bzzzz" floppy access noises when creating a new one of those!

Thanks guys!

LLXX - I completely agree with you. The "solution" suggested by kartel is just a bit too over the top and extreme!

Best wishes to you all and go well ...

Dr. Mac