RIS installation hangs

sponder

Hi,

im new to this forum, but i must say, ive read a load of threads about RIS on this forum, and found the info invaluable!! soo on forehand thanks!! :D

right, my problem:

ive have a windows 2000 server with RIS, and a clean WinXP SP2 image which i want to use with a Nforce2 mainboard (as a client). first i ran in to the same driver problems as most people do, which i managed to solve due to this board. (the "windows was unable to locate NIC drivers" issue)

after solving this, i saw the "setup starting" message, and i let out a big WHOHOO!!

but that was a bit too fast..

i now have the problem that the system hangs right after the "starting windows" message.

The problem is well described here:

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=319111

ive downloaded a bios update which i will try tonight, to see if it helps, but i wanted to ask you guys first if there is anything alse i should keep in mind? (cause the work-around from ms: to temp. replace the vga adaptor is not really feasable here..)

Thanks!

Sponder.

Edited by sponder

Hey,

after a load of testing, still no luck.

confirm my first post the article: 319111

ive tried to update the videoprt.sys file from a 2004 version, but it made no difference.

The dirty sollution from ms: to swap the vga card also didn't do the trick (tried 3, from a simple s3 card to a geforce2)

and i tried the last tip from ctrl-x, to rule out the NTLDR could be causing the problem, but it still wont go.

after booting from PXE, setup will copy the files, once that finished, i get the message: Setup is starting windows. and thats it, the system totally hangs.

im pulling my hair out here! anyone got any idea what could be causing this/how to fix this?

thnx a mil!!

sponder.

hey a quick update:

if i leave the client running, after a good 15 minutes i get a bluescreen with the message:

process1_initialization_failed

does this ring any bells?

thnx sponder.

I've had the exact same issue with RealTek NICs before but they seem to be improving their drivers lately. One thing you may want to try is to disable USB Legacy Emulation in the BIOS and remove USB devices from the list of bootable devices.

• 3 months later...

I am running into a problem that exhibits the same behavior. I get to the point in the RIS install where "Setup Is Starting Windows" is displayed but then the install will not proceed any farther. Here is a run down of my setup:

RIS Server:

Windows 2003 Server Standard SP1 fully patched

DHCP server for a RIS-only range of IPs

Client Server: (machine I am attempting to install to)

HP DL360 G4p with HP Smart Array Controller 6i

All firmware up to date via HP Firmware CD v. 7.61

SmartStart v. 7.70 used to wipe system and create mirrored array with two 72 GB SCSI drives

OS to be deployed:

Windows 2003 Server Standard SP1 (from MSDN CD)

This is a completely clean install created with Risetup.

The only thing that has been added to the following directory structure:

"E:\RemoteInstall\Setup\English\Images\AAAWING" (AAAWING is the name I chose for the folder containing i386)

is the RIS-specific driver for the Intel NIC (technically it is 3 files) and those files were added to the i386 folder directly.

I initially ran into the issue where RIS reports that the OS you have chosen does not contain the necessary drivers for the NIC so that is why I added them to i386. Just so you know, here is a list of those files:

q57win32.cat

q57win32.inf

q57xp32.sys

I am assuming my install hangs due to Mass Storage Drivers as this is the point in Setup where windows would format the drive and then continue with the install. While I would ultimately like this entire process to be Unattended, right now I am just looking to get past this issue even in ATTENDED mode. All of my previous attempts to get this to work have been with the cpqcissm drivers located on the SmartStart 7.70 CD. The files are listed below:

cpqcissm.cat

cpqcissm.inf

cpqcissm.sys

txtsetup.oem

I have followed the tutorial in the Unattended Guide on this site but that did not work. I have also tried the RIS tutorial on this site posted by dk (the one that is stickied) and followed up on a few more ideas posted here. I have seen a great deal of the Internet while searching for a solution. I followed a few different ideas at the IT Resource Center Forums and also tried solutions provided by both HP and Microsoft. I am really at a loss here. Is the HP DL360 G4p the issue?

I do not use any user-created applications or compilations (ie, RyanVM, AutoRIS, nLite, Bashrat...) No offense but I just cannot use those tools in this corporate environment. From what I have read I really shouldn't need to use those anyway. Although I am well aware of how much easier they make things.

I have tried so many different iterations of my ristndrd.sif (the one created in the templates folder under i386) that I don't feel that posting any one would help here. I am (for the 5th time) starting from scratch. This time, however, I am asking for your help directly. I am posting the totally clean, default ristndrd.sif below. What I am asking is for anyone (or everyone) to fill the blanks here. What does it take to make this work? I am not looking for you to do my work for me. I am hoping that something will get posted that I have yet to try.

I apologize for the lengthy post. Any help at all would be greatly appreciated.

[data]
floppyless = "1"
msdosinitiated = "1"
OriSrc = "\\%SERVERNAME%\RemInst\%INSTALLPATH%\%MACHINETYPE%"
OriTyp = "4"
LocalSourceOnCD = 1
DisableAdminAccountOnDomainJoin = 1

[SetupData]
OsLoadOptions = "/noguiboot /fastdetect"
SetupSourceDevice = "\Device\LanmanRedirector\%SERVERNAME%\RemInst\%INSTALLPATH%"

[Unattended]
OemPreinstall = no
FileSystem = LeaveAlone
ExtendOEMPartition = 0
TargetPath = \WINDOWS
OemSkipEula = yes
InstallFilesPath = "\\%SERVERNAME%\RemInst\%INSTALLPATH%\%MACHINETYPE%"
LegacyNIC = 1

[UserData]
FullName = "%USERFIRSTNAME% %USERLASTNAME%"
OrgName = "%ORGNAME%"
ComputerName = %MACHINENAME%

[GuiUnattended]
OemSkipWelcome = 1
OemSkipRegional = 1
TimeZone = %TIMEZONE%
AdminPassword = "*"

[LicenseFilePrintData]
AutoMode = PerSeat

[Display]
BitsPerPel = 16
XResolution = 800
YResolution = 600
VRefresh = 60

[Networking]

[NetServices]
MS_Server=params.MS_PSched

[Identification]
JoinDomain = %MACHINEDOMAIN%
DoOldStyleDomainJoin = Yes

[RemoteInstall]
Repartition = Yes
UseWholeDisk = Yes

[OSChooser]
Description ="Windows Server 2003, Standard - AAAWING"
Help ="Automatically installs Windows Server 2003, Standard without prompting the user for input."
LaunchFile = "%INSTALLPATH%\%MACHINETYPE%\templates\startrom.com"
ImageType =Flat
Version="5.2 (3790)"

• 5 months later...
i now have the problem that the system hangs right after the "starting windows" message.

The problem is well described here:

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=319111

Dear All,

I'm having this issue previously too. The solution for me is to enable the Guest account on my AD. But after that, I stumbled upon the BSOD issue... :wacko: Now, I'm stuck again...

bsod.png

Edited by voided

• 1 year later...