Unattended on Linux...

Hi, i'm having problems to install my sata driver, all files from the diskette are not being copied to the HD correctly.

i will try to install the sata driver from my cd, all the files and configurations are ready to burn

but i have one question:

when i burned the image on windows, i had to use boot.img and some parameters.

On Linux i can burn normally or i have to use boot.img also? if yes, how i will use this file????

Edited by Guilherme

boot.img is the no-emulation bootsector for the CD, i.e. the thingy that makes it bootable and that invokes the SETUPLDR.BIN, if you don't use it, the CD wonìt be bootable or it won't boot the setup.

Under Linux, as well as under XP, you can use mkisofs to make the .iso, then burn it with any burning program.

Here is a mkisofs short guide for BartPE, which is similar in the booting part to a setup CD, to get you started:

http://www.bootcd.us/Mkisofs_options.htm

Check your build of mkisofs under linux for the presence of same switches, if I recall correctly -iso-level 4 is not present, you can try -iso-level 3

jaclaz

i used this parameters:

mkisofs -iso-level 4 -b boot.img -o "/home/kurumin/xpcd.iso" "/home/kurumin/Unattended/xpcd"

i recieve this error:

Size of boot image is 4 sectors -> mkisofs: Error - boot image '/home/kurumin/Unattended/xpcd/boot.img' has not an allowable size.

the boot.img i downloaded from the msfn unattended guide

can you help me?

Well, the parameters given in the link do have a sense, if only you would take the time to read the doc, the suggested one is:

mkisofs -iso-level 4 -l -d -D -J -joliet-long -b bcdwboot.bin -hide hiren.bin -hide diskem1x.bin -hide reactos.bin -hide ****.bin -hide bcdwboot.bin -hide boot.catalog -allow-multidot -no-emul-boot -volid "EMCD" -A PEBUILDER/MKISOFS -sysid "Win32" -boot-load-size 4 -o "M:\iso\bcdw.iso" "M:\newcd"
YOUR should be something like this:

mkisofs -iso-level 4 -l -d -D -J -joliet-long -b -boot.img -hide boot.img -hide boot.catalog -allow-multidot -no-emul-boot -volid "MYCD" -A PEBUILDER/MKISOFS -sysid "Win32" -boot-load-size 4 -o "/home/kurumin/xpcd.iso" "/home/kurumin/Unattended/xpcd"

Quite different to what you posted:

mkisofs -iso-level 4 -b boot.img -o "/home/kurumin/xpcd.iso" "/home/kurumin/Unattended/xpcd"

The main things you obviously missed are:

-no-emul-boot

that tells mkisofs that you want a no-emulation mode CD, NOT an El-Torito one

-boot-load-size 4
that tells mkisofs that the no-emulation bootsector you are feeding it is 4 sectors long
-hide boot.img -hide boot.catalog

that make mkisofs hide the boot image and catalog

the other ones have lesser importance, and can probably be omitted though it really depends on the structure of the CD and the names you used (or you have) for files, most probably you can omit them and also set -iso-level to 2 or 3 if the cd has just "normal" 8.3 names.

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz