poweroff in PE?

twalk482

Anyone used this option in the WINBOM.INI (Restart = Poweroff)? WINBOM.INI is at the root of my PE CD

[Factory]
WinBOMType = WinPE
Reseal = No
[WinPE.Net]
StartNet = No
[WinPE]
Quiet = No
Restart = Poweroff

With a Startnet that looks like this

Factory -WinPE

You would think the machine does it's thing then shut's down ... so I can box it up and ship it out.

I would love to hear anyone else's experience with this ... or even alternatives ... I tried copying shutdown.exe to my PE i386\system32 folder, but that didn't work either.

Ugh ... just found out the solution ... don't run the step to remove the files in SERVERSP1-REMOVELIST.TXT supplied in the OPK ... I guess it removes something that the factory.exe uses.

TO get this functionality I guess I'll have to use the 150MB version of PE instead of the 95MB version :realmad:

Edited by twalk482

oops. Yes that cleanup list removes way to much. But you can clean parts of it. For example the fonts and the help files. Drivers for modems and so on. I got a 124Mb image with wmi,wsh,ado and vb6 runtime support

• 2 weeks later...

According to the book "Windows Registry Guide" by Jerry Honeycutt, the trick is as follows.

From your command prompt, simply exit. If you are using a batch file to do your stuff to the machine, have an exit command at the end. This terminates the shell, and hence winpe.

To prevent the system from restarting, put a floppy disk in drive a:, most likely, a DOS disk. The system will still restart, but you can just pop the disk out and box up the box.

Ugh ... just found out the solution ... don't run the step to remove the files in SERVERSP1-REMOVELIST.TXT supplied in the OPK ... I guess it removes something that the factory.exe uses.

TO get this functionality I guess I'll have to use the 150MB version of PE instead of the 95MB version :realmad:

Not really.. PE running on 31Mb can also shutdown completely, just use explorer as shell along with "ShutDownRes.dll" - it will allow you to completely shut down the machine.

Take the screenshot as an example of this:

post-96036-1161034902_thumb.png

It is added as a feature inside explorer.script, so it's just a matter of applying it on your WinPE without needing to manually edit any files and using your already existent PE build.

Hope this helps! :)

Actually explorer.script is using my shutdown utilitities. They are downloadable from www.paraglidernc.com and will work without explorer. The replacement msgina.dll ( pegina.dll ) is also needed as well. shutdownres.dll just contains english string resources used by pegina.dll.

If you are not using explorer then the explorer shutdown gui can be invoked by calling shutdown.exe with the /g parameter. Its all described in the Usage link for the utilities. Note that the original msgina should be named ginaorg.dll and pegina.dll should be named msgina.dll.

Edited by Paraglider