Windows 2003 and Canon Powershot S330

cre3d

Not sure whats going on, but the camera drivers installed fine by running setup in windows xp compatibility mode; However, when trying to transfer images over to the hard drive, it gives an estimate of 80+ minutes and never actually transfers more than ~300kb of the first image file.

What could this be? All my other usb devices are functioning properly and I can't google anything on this so perhaps someone has had a similar experience? It pulls up the image list for the camera just fine.

Welcome cre3d, enjoy the forum and ask many questions as we love a challenge......

Have you tried to transfer just one image at a time to see if you can get it to work at all? Is the battery at full charge on the S330? Have you tried a different USB port?

I have Nikon CoolPix 775 and what I do is use a card reader. Just pull the card from the camera and pop it into the reader. Now it acts like just like another drive and I can transfer files with ease. Card readers are not that costly and it also adds the flexibility of using the reader for other goodies. I also use the reader for my PDA card as well as storage. My reader is just a USB 1.1 but still at that it is pretty quick...

:)

Well, I have a Canon Powershot S110, and I solved the problem. Go me!

I've been fighting with this issue literally for months.

Quick recap: Windows Server 2003 would not work with my digital camera (Canon Powershot S110). I could see the pictures in preview, but when you went to copy them over, the first picture came over fine, then it hung on he second after 8%.

NOTHING i tried worked, even though the camera works flawlessly under XP.

Finally figured it out after reading a bunch of Microsoft whitepapers on WIA.

First, I'm no sure if it did anything, but I believe the service needs to run as Local System, not Local Service. That's done via right click -> Properties in services. No biggee.

Anyway, the thing that FINALLY got it to work was sti.dll.

First, delete sti.dll from /windows/system_32/dllcache.

get a copy of sti.dll from an XP Pro machine.

Copy it into /windows/system_32/

When 2003 bitches about loading a cd, click cancel, and agree to use the new file.

Restart the WIA service.

That did it for me.

That's all with the WIA service enabled. The Windows Server 2003 WIA service uses a different sti.dll.

And if you read my post, you;d see where I said to restart the service

BTW, I just reformmated, so I can conform, the only changes needed to get it to work are to change WIA to run as local system and replace sti.dll

• 2 months later...

I completely forgot about this post, been too busy with things in real life and simply reverted to using another computer on my home network to download images with. However, I will now give this fix a try to see if it works!

PS- I am exhibiting the same exact problems Emkorial described...First picture goes through just fine and then it kinda freezes. Camera works fine in XP.

Just finished applying the fix described and am now getting a new error: When trying to copy any pictures over to my hard drive, I get an "Access is denied" message. Thoughts?

I deleted sti.dll from my system32\dllcache, copied sti.dll from an xp pro machine to my system32 folder and restarted the WIA service (tried restarting computer as well). I can view the images just fine off the camera itself, however I cannot copy them to my hard drive.