Why can't I connect to windows validation server?

NUTTER123

OK for a while now when trying to download something say from Microsoft windows for XP take this for example:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=en (windows defender beta 2)

When I click on the continue button I get this message:

Thank you for taking part in genuine Windows validation. Validating will enable you to receive your download now and quickly access other downloads and additional benefits in the future. To complete the validation process, we need you to provide some additional information.

Please click Continue to complete the validation process.

I press continue to obviously continue :P Then I get this:

Validation Incomplete: Internet Connection Problem [0x80080293]

Why didn’t my machine complete validation?

Your validation may not have succeeded due to the following Internet connection issue.

The Windows Genuine Advantage Tool requires Internet access and is unable to communicate with the Microsoft validation servers.

Don't understand how that can be. I have a windows media player 11 install on my hard drive I've managed to download from microsoft (and that doesn't need that validation thing) when I press the validate button during installation it passes absolutely fine. I'm stumped.

The very first step is to check your pc for viruses/malware. After running a full scan of your pc see if the problem still persists.

I'll scan with adaware. That would be a start :P Got a Norton on disk somewhere I'll dig that out, install that see if I get any luck there either. Noticed a few weird things on startup via msconfig I didn't look the like of so I've disabled them.

I'll scan with adaware. That would be a start :P Got a Norton on disk somewhere I'll dig that out, install that see if I get any luck there either. Noticed a few weird things on startup via msconfig I didn't look the like of so I've disabled them.

I'd rather not use Norton. Use instead Nod32 trial version.