was very sparingly.

Could the cartridges have been dried/

used up so quickly already?

Thank you.

Edited by pcandpc

Hi ripken204,

Actually, I did that too.

However, the color document only

showed up partially printed and lightly.

Even there, the black prints were missing.

So, I suppose it's time to replace both

color and black cartridges.

But then, I just stored the printer away

for about a year or so without using it.

Will the cartridges dry up if you don't

use them for quite some time as in my

case?

For future reference, how can I prevent

this ink drying?

Should I take out the cartridges before

storing away the printer if I don't use

the printer for quite a while?

Well, that's rather inconvenient.

Thanks.

Edited by pcandpc

If I remember correctly HP used cartridges with an integrated printhead and water-based ink.

There is probably still ink in the cartridge, but the print head nozzles are clogged with dried ink.

As the ink is water-based, it will easily dissolve in water.

Heat a pot of water just below its boiling point and submerge the printhead of the cartridge for a few minutes or until ink starts to flow freely (like a nib pen) when the printhead is wiped with paper towel.

A few "head cleaning" cycles in the printer will exercise the nozzles further and help to remove the last few clogs. Doing that between 2-minute soaks in hot water seems to work best.

I've done my own printer service (and other's printers) for a few years, this is from experience B)

Epsons and other printers with separate (not easily replaceable) printheads are cleaned in much the same manner, although with their alcohol-based inks an overnight soak in ethanol works much better to clear clogs.

To lessen the chance of plugged printheads in the future, you can use diluted ink which is thinner and less likely to dry out and become viscous (it's also cheaper than using 100% ink ;)). Black can usually be diluted to 10% by volume with no quality loss, beyond that it becomes dark grey but still legible... (good for draft printing or high-volume low-quality) as for the colors, only the cyan and magenta can be diluted quite a bit, the yellow is already faint so 50% is probably as low as I'd go without noticeable color loss.

Edited by LLXX

Another thing about HP printer cartridges is that they have a number given to them that the printer can read and it won't let you refill a cartridge and use it. The printer will hold that number in memory for two cartridge changes before the number can be used again.

Here are some pages showing you how to reset your printer: Page 1

Page 2

Page 3

Page 4

DL

"Another thing about HP printer cartridges is that they have a number given to them that the printer can read and it won't let you refill a cartridge and use it. "

DL I refill hp cartridges all the time. My experience is that they can be refilled for about 14 months before you need to replce or cycle the serial out of the memory. There is a way of taping up the copper leds in the back to get low empty cartridge message from appearing by my experience that stops after a while.

pcandpc, if the cartidge is dry you can place the printing head into some warm water. That should reconstitute the dry ink that's blocking the holes. The gradiant that exists form the ink to the water will wick some of ink out. Ultimately, you can open the filling holes and blow the ink through if it water won't wick it out. Reseal the fill holes.