D-Link DI-724GU gigabit router

ToasterMax

I am in the market for a gigabit wireless router with a print server. In my search , i came upon the D-Link DI-724GU. It seems to meet all my needs but their is no information on the actual performance of the product. Has anyone used this device or even seen it?

:no: haven't heard of it, and im almost 100% disgusted with D Link. i have a DI-614+ running my wireless and wired at 11.0Mb/s wireless, 100Mb/s wireless.

the DI-624 that i have supports 100Mb/s wired, 54.0Mb/s wireless for about 2 minutes. then i loose wireless...its a defective router, theres no way to fix it.

Can't say I'm too happy about DLink routers either, but then again, I've tried 'em all (linksys, netgear, etc) and they've all sucked badly, overheated ridiculously within the first 2 weeks and then started having major problems. I've given up on routers altogether. Yes, there is some quality hardware out there, but it costs hundreds. So I use a PC as NAT/firewall - a FAR better option IMO.

But either ways, I don't see why you want this. You're going for a hybrid that has superfast wired between your PCs (no idea if your PCs even have GB ethernet and right cabling), yet you pick a product that also has wireless (painfully slow for anything but web browsing).

If anything, I'd get a decent gigabit ethernet switch for not a whole lot more $ (and an access point if you really need wireless). Quite honestly, the switches in most routers suck really REALLY badly. On over a dozen different model of routers I've tested, transferring a few GB at plain old 100mbit was enough to overheat the switch chip enough that it would drop right off the network, come back, try again and drop off a few seconds after, etc. Absolute crap. They're NOT built for large/sustained loads/transfers. Consumer grade trash. I have yet to have any touble with a real standalone switch.

D-Link was known for abusing a certain tier 1 NTP server too (I wouldn't want to give my money to a company that does such a thing), but they settled that lately.

crahak,

All of my desktops have gigabit ethernet cards and i have cat6 cables. I was hoping to install a wireless pci card on one or two of my pcs so that i can place them anywhere in the house and still get access to the net and the NAS that i plan on installing. I did not want to run ethernet all over the house and in some areas its really not possible to hide the cables at all. What standalone switch do you recommend? i would prefer one that can do jumbo frames if possible. thanks for your help.