sdcc.exe

tal ormanda

I very highly doubt it's a the small device compiler - if he was into compiling C for microcontrollers, he would definitely know (funny how I know about atmel/pic compilers I have installed and use). Can't be that.

And as for Visual Studio, I have no idea where you got that from. I have 2 versions of it installed, and there are NO traces of that file anywhere (and I was quite surprised that there could have been some executable/command line tool in VS I didn't know of yet too). 100% sure it isn't related.

Find the said exe, right click, properties, version. That should give you a good hint. Most companies embed some "infos" in their files like that. Try on another exe if you want to compare (likely there should be company, version, etc). You can also try to monitor network activity and such things too (so many options/ideas).

But either ways, I'd bet it's malware (or worst case scenario something that's totally unecessary and just eating away system resources). Especially if you're out to try to find what it is, it's likely because you're having some issues (virus/spyware), and this very well could be it. Often malware uses file names similar to legit processes (svohost instead of svchost and such), and sdss looks somewhat like smss - not almost identical, but not like the average user would know the difference (not like they have clue what smss is in the first place, let alone what sdss could even be) - and it's still somewhat similar to a few other system processes what end in "ss", like csrss and lsass. I just can't see it be something critical for your system to work either (it would be documented somewhere as it would be some common process).