nLite 1.2 Beta - Return of the warrior

nuhi

Well, to reply to my previous post, this installation is working rather well - I can even use wireless networking without the overhead of EventLog/WZC services, thanks to WifiHopper - yay!

Despite the DHCP service disappearing in the 'remove components' page, it is clearly still available (listed in services, plus I can post this message online). Similarly, the Windows Image viewer is still installed, even though I am quite sure it was previously ticked for removal. Perhaps this was simply because I loaded a preset from an older version of nLite, yet I am confident the relevant component removal boxes were ticked.

Anyway, so I have a nice, slim, sub 100mb XP-SP2-RyanVM image, that still functions as I desire. Good job nuhi et al - I wonder when the remaining services on this list will eventually be removable? ;)

http://img242.imageshack.us/img242/4335/servicesnl12oy2.png

Take care,

James

x

EDIT1: Indeed the Shell Services file (shsvcs.dll) was left behind and can be re-registered manually to enable themes support. Is this deliberate to perhaps ensure theme integration is always successful?

EDIT2: After running nLite again on the same folder, re-selecting Shell Services / Windows Image Viewer, the two components are correctly removed and will not appear again.

Edited by jmbattle

Yep, me again!

I just tried running nLite on this cut-down installation, using the alternative .NET 2.0 runtimes. An error message appeared which FileMon revealed was related to a missing msvcp80.dll.

I Googled the file and downloaded it to my SYSTEM32 folder and nLite appears to be working fine.

The strange thing is, when searching for the msvcp80.dll on my harddrive initially, I was unable to locate it, so I am curious as to why this fresh installation should request the file.

Cheers,

James

x

With all due respect, but what does Ryan's pack add? It just updates things?

Updates and adds files with the latest critical and security hotfixes. But RyanVM could provide a more detailed answer if it's necessary. :D

I know Jeremy, I was referring to jmbattle:

Viva, yes, however integrated hotfixes/RyanVM updates are not displayed on the 'remove components' page as at this stage they have not yet been updated.

I mean, what should be displayed on the 'remove components' page on behalve of Ryan's pack?

nLite scans for removable components prior to the updated files being placed in i386, hence why the languages don't show up until the second. So yeah, basically your only option is to integrate the pack with the Integrator or nLite first and then go back and do your removals.

chris.b, how can I see that msagent popup?

Jeremy, simplest way to solve RVM pack language leftovers is just to extract intl.inf from it (check if yours is home or pro subfolder in the 7z) into the i386 and overwrite, before loading into nlite of course.

Plasma, besides compression rate be sure to enable Merging CABs in Options page and ASMS compression in Hotfixes page - Advanced options.

Lemonzest, that means there was some critical error and all was skipped. Try once in virtual without any addon and build from that. Let me know what causes it.

SINFIN, important thing is to report what was needed so it gets saved into compatibility option next time?

jmbattle, gonna review your reports in more detail, thx but in essence i'm glad that network is fine.

Weed, ok gonna check why