Win XP Sp2 - lots of runtime errors

Umpalumpa

Sup guys,

Just registered here to try and get some help on my issue.

I've been having this issue on two different computers (an older AMD Athlon 64 3500+ Desktop PC, and my brand new Dell E1705 laptop with Intel CPU), so I guess it's a software issue, not a hardware-compatibility problem.

I'm running Windows XP Sp2 on my PCs - I have legit, original product keys for the OS, but I downloaded several slipstreamed versions of XP (slipstreamed with Sp2, other hotfixes, etc.). I run the installation just fine, depending on which version of XP I install I might have to do some driver troubleshooting, but overall the installation is smooth.

First thing I do after Win Xp is set up, I run the Nvidia drivers for my card (GeForce GO 7900GS or GeForce 7300GS, respectively). Everything's fine till here. Then I start installing my software:

- Winamp

- Firefox 1.5 (or Firefox 2 Beta 2)

- Office 2007 Beta 2 TR (used to install Office 2003, same problems)

- Pro/Engineer w/ PTC license server

- MATLAB R2006

- Hummingbird Exceed 11

- Fluent GAMBIT

- Fluent SOLVER

- Adobe Creative Suite CS2 (only Acrobat and Photoshop)

- few games every now and then (have no effect on problem)

Here's where the problems start. I don't exactly know at what point. But almost all of the software I install starts giving me runtime errors at startup.

It started with Winamp. After a while of googling I found that the ICM32.dll had something to do with it. So I managed to download that dll and put it into the Winamp folder, and the problem was gone. Hummingbird Exceed was having the same problem, which I fixed with the same dll. Other software is having different problems:

- Adobe Acrobat / Distiller crashes when it tries to create a PDF file.

- Pro/Engineer crashes, at startup, with a runtime error on the main executable (no dll involved apparently)

- Americas Army crashes at startup with a runtime error

- ... and so on ...

I don't know what is going on. I am desperate, I've formated and reinstalled my laptop exactly 16 times since I've gotten it (3 weeks), which is ridiculous. I tried reburning image files thinking the burn process corrupted data, I redownloaded some image files, I used an old original Win Xp CD ... Same problem every time.

If anyone has ever had similar issues and found a cause, please please please post here! I need my laptop for my research work and other classes and for work, too ... I can't keep doing this.

Thanks,

Umpa

Sup guys,

I'm running Windows XP Sp2 on my PCs - I have legit, original product keys for the OS, but I downloaded several slipstreamed versions of XP (slipstreamed with Sp2, other hotfixes, etc.).

Even though you have legit versions, downloading (presumably not your own) versions of XP still isn't legit, is it?

Who knows what changes were made to those?

...plus, slipstreamed "ready made" XP distributions are illegal i.e. you can happily make your own for your own use, but it is illegal to distribute it.

Save yourself the hassle and make your own with your own legal media CD and the plentiful guides found on here [http://unattended.msfn.org/] and/or using the other many member projects found on here.

If done properly and if the programs you install dont "mess" around with XP too much, you should have much better success :)

Good luck :D

Regards

Nath.

Thanks for the replies, guys.

I tried Dial-A-Fix without any success.

Regarding the downloaded, slipstreamed versions of Windows, I'm pretty sure it's legal to download them as long as I own a legit license and key for the product and don't install it on more than one computer.

Anyway, the reason why I download those versions is because the original media I have is not OEM, but they are recovery CD's from Dell for my laptop, Compaq for my Desktop. And as we all know, the recovery CD's are full of bloatware.

Besides, I've had all these problems with the original setup, as well, before even formatting everything. It seems to depend on the interaction between some of the software I install and windows ... I really don't know.

Thanks so far!

Umpa

I have no direct answer to your problem, nor do I want to debate the lagality of using someone else's slipstreamed CD's, but I, too, think that your problem stems from using installations made from someone else who has no clue about your own requirements.

Do yourself a favour and learn how to make your own unattended CD's. Not only will you get a sense of accomplishment from it, but the finished product will be made to your own specifications and requirements.

Good luck whatever you decide to do.

I'd try installing the OS plain, no modifications or slipstreamed service packs. Then just update normally.
He's already tried that...
I used an old original Win Xp CD
I think you might be having problems with your hard drive. What exactly are the error messages?

I used an old original Win Xp CD
I think you might be having problems with your hard drive. What exactly are the error messages?

I've been having this issue on two different computers (an older AMD Athlon 64 3500+ Desktop PC, and my brand new Dell E1705 laptop with Intel CPU), so I guess it's a software issue, not a hardware-compatibility problem.

Regarding the downloaded, slipstreamed versions of Windows, I'm pretty sure it's legal to download them as long as I own a legit license and key for the product and don't install it on more than one computer.

I think you will find that it isn't legal to use them. Somewhere in all the licensing and EULAs you'll find that it forbids the distribution of the software and combine that with the fact that the software has been modified, it is most definately not legal.

Thats why with many of the member's projects on this forum, you have to use your own XP CD or installation as a base for the project as they can't provide the files of XP with the project.... Do a google on PEBuilder and try it as an example of what I mean.

In short.... the distribution of a modified XP media source is illegal [unless you have the license to do so like Royalty OEMs do] - simple as that really :)

Anyway, the reason why I download those versions is because the original media I have is not OEM, but they are recovery CD's from Dell for my laptop, Compaq for my Desktop. And as we all know, the recovery CD's are full of bloatware.

Right, and I can understand that. There are however threads on MSFN relating to how to make a OEM CD/build from your Dell Recovery CD/partition. Sorry I don't have them to hand but you should be able to search and find them... or perhaps another kind member can post a link [i would look for you but I need to get on with some work ;) hehe]

Regards [and welcome to MSFN btw]

Nath