DiVx and xvid codecs for Vista

Spooky

Vista does not have xvid or divx codecs. getting some third party codecs to install can be a pain in Vista. The codec pak that is known to work in Vista at this time is the k-lite Mega Codec Pak version 1.59, however, do a custom install with it and unckeck the fldshow items as Vista has a problem with the fldshow.

Well, it depends on what you mean by problems. To some people the display of the watermark on the desktop is a problem.

The key to using Vista sucessfully is going to be three things:

1. Current hardware - MS has already said that stuff that was older then 2005 might have problems - this includes processors, hard drives, etc...

2. Memory - the memory requirement given is the minimum to have the OS install and start up - its not whats really needed to function well. For example, my beta test machine normally has 1GB of ram and Vista runs OK for most 'light' tasks with paging to the hard drive a lot and I was having the normal beta problems most have. But then I beefed up the memory to 4GB, it was the difference between night and day and over 90% of the problems I was having at 1GB of ram went away, the OS smoothed out, runs fast, no more hard drive thrashing, and everything works well (aside from the normal un-optimized beta things).

3. Processor/chipset - Intel works well right now for the most part, there are still a few problems with AMD processors and chipsets other than intel.

yep, there are problems just like any piece of beta software has.

why I feel from different posts the Vista really have problems.

I'm not big on codec packs, so I can't help there. But I can tell you that DivX does work fine as long as you uncheck the Player and the Converter in Setup. When I left those in, the player worked fine but then Vista would blue (er, black) screen of death at startup. It couldn't boot with the Player and Converter installed.

Without the player, I can still play DivX files in RealPlayer, PowerDVD, and Windows Media Player. The open source Dr. DivX also seems not to be compatible, but you could use DVDx or some other encoder that uses the DivX codec.

QuickTime 7.1 works fine as long as you use safe mode for video (in the QuickTime Control Panel Advanced Options). Files wouldn't play using the default DirectX settings.

If you don't like commercial players, MediaPlayerClassic and VLC Media Player have been reported to work fine in Vista. With MPC, you get the benefit of Real and QuickTime Alternative being installed along with it, and VLC gives you a DVD codec.

Vista does not have xvid or divx codecs. getting some third party codecs to install can be a pain in Vista. The codec pak that is known to work in Vista at this time is the k-lite Mega Codec Pak version 1.59, however, do a custom install with it and unckeck the fldshow items as Vista has a problem with the fldshow.

FFDShow works fine, as well as the free version of BSPlayer.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

Need help with vista codec pack...

Downloaded the pack but it does not seem to work...

I dont have a clue as to what i'm suposed to do with it once installed!

I keep reading you must uninstall all other codec or versions on system but does that mean the current media player and win media center?????

Is it about the vista codec configuration??

Would appreciate some help on this matter...i feel like a total tit when it come to new programs!!!

Thank's

Ben

• 4 weeks later...

also i am curious about how to uninstall codecs from my computer which i dont want

Because i think i installed the wrong version of vista codec package because ffdshow doesnt work right now also my bs player

i would be appreciate if someone help me

Thanks all

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I use the vista codec pack and have not had any problems at all playing any file.

http://www.softpedia.com/progDownload/Adva...load-55586.html

i don't use codec packs neither. however, if you want a codec pack, use shark007's, works great. the reason i don't use it is that i don't need but just a few codecs.

for me, xvid, quicktime alternative, real alternative and ffdshow works great. i haven't had any problems in vista with these.