Windows 95/98 First Edition + WMP 9

galahs

I installed WMP-9 on 98FE using the modified control.xml method. Works fine. Don't have access to Win95 to attempt it. Hacking the registry to make it install on 98FE may work, but it could have unforseen consequences with other installers/updates. Removing the artificial incompatibility that was put in the installer won't cause any other problems.

It definitely tells you something about 98 when M$ feels it's necessary to fake incompatibilities in order to coerce people into "upgrading" to a newer OS.

Rick

you're right on with the consequences of using the reg hack, Rick. that was galahs idea.

Mine was editing the control.xml method which is the most reliable way to make WMP9 (and the WM891122 update) install correctly under Win98 FE and won't cause any side effects.

Mine was editing the control.xml method which is the most reliable way to make WMP9 (and the WM891122 update) install correctly under Win98 FE

It worked very well. I wonder just how many other updates and installers are "incompatible with 98" for the same reason.

Regarding the WM891122 update, I see it described as:

These updates improve the robustness of the Windows Media DRM platform and add additional integrity checks to the DRM system, via the installation of two components on end users' computers. License issuers can verify that each user's computer has been updated before issuing or renewing licenses.

Based on that description, this looks more like something I'd want to remove, not install. What does this update do that's of benefit to the users themselves? WMP gets very little usage here. I rarely watch videos or streaming media, and audio is played by an old version of WinAmp.