Vista Gaming Performance

Aegis

An interesting review. I know that I tried out F.E.A.R in the current build (5728-16387) just yesterday using the in-box drivers for my ATI X800 Pro and didn't have any of the issues mentioned in the review, in fact it performed better then it did in XP Pro with very stable frame rates in the 90's to low 100's, in XP about the best I could get was somewhere between 70 and 80 with the same vid card and the ATI release drivers for XP.

I did note that the reviews test machine used an AMD processor. My beta test machine where I tried out F.E.A.R. has an Intel Pent 4 3.2 Ghz processor with 4 GB of ram but it only has a performace rating of 4.2 which is less then the reviews test machine. I also know that Vista has some issues with AMD processors right now. Plus they were over clocking and while they told what they used for cooling overclocking does still produce some side effects at times due to heat unless the temp does not increase at all and remains constant. Overclocking is probably the last thing you'd want to do in Vista anyway, its sensitive that way.

I don't really take stock in reviews of this nature when they involve beta products, especially an un-optimized operating system that doesn't work well at the time with the hardware (the AMD processor in this case) used for the test and then on top of that using beta drivers for the vid cards.

Seems like there's still a substantial performance decrease (-20%) with the latest Vista builds. Not as bad as the 40% decrease with earlier builds though :P. Nevertheless...

http://www.legitreviews.com/article/385/1/

Edited by Spooky

I have my 4000+ overclocked too 2600mhz and vista isnt complaining about it one bit.

i did run bf2 on rc1 5600, slide show for sure and no transparncy worked at all so tree's ect looked like card board cut outs.

madonion 2001se took a massive dive in points, from 30k down to 21k on 5600 with a slight improvement to 22k on 5728.

future mark 2003 and 2005 took a far smaller drop, but a significant drop all the same.

Aquamark 3 refused to run at all

certainly wont be using vista to play games with any time soon.

Edited by vomit

i've tested on quake 4

1. XP - demo01 - average 73fps

2. Vista - demo01 - average 63fps (with some image glitches..)

3. XP - demo02 - average 30fps

4. Vista - demo02 - average 32fps (lol..wtf)

that's 9-10% better performance in XP.. (if we dont count the image glitches)

Overclocking is probably the last thing you'd want to do in Vista anyway, its sensitive that way.

If there's a side effect in Vista, then the OC isn't stable. Besides, I never heard of a Windows-unstable OC that Prime95 can pass on! In fact, it's possible for Prime95 to fail with a game-stable OC!

Exactly, it's not completly stable yet...its is a beta after all.

Overclocking is probably the last thing you'd want to do in Vista anyway, its sensitive that way.

If there's a side effect in Vista, then the OC isn't stable. Besides, I never heard of a Windows-unstable OC that Prime95 can pass on! In fact, it's possible for Prime95 to fail with a game-stable OC!

@dAbReAkA

its all about the drivers, come vista rc1 I found

ati is doing well, with their drivers in game performance

where nvidias rc1 drivers worse , in the benchmarks they did, expect 1, doom 3 @ 1600X1200 HDR etc,

these are some of the things vista might bring, better use of multiple cpus, and memory management from my own testing.

maybe their is a good reason why dx 10, is currently only planed for vista.

Edited by gdogg

Boy, oh boy... where have people begun to think a RC1 is ready for any games. Let alone expect any game, for a matter of fact, run on a system that was built upon the 2003 server architecture.

Wait until the final product has been release or when your favorite Windows ME games are ported over.

Because RC1 is three releases away from public, and Build 5728 is only two. Unless you're expecting miracles, a good indicator of the final build quality is of the RC build performance. RC builds mean that Vista is as good as done, with only *minor* issues left. A 20% drop in FPS doesn't qualify as minor in my opinion.

Because RC1 is three releases away from public, and Build 5728 is only two. Unless you're expecting miracles, a good indicator of the final build quality is of the RC build performance. RC builds mean that Vista is as good as done, with only *minor* issues left. A 20% drop in FPS doesn't qualify as minor in my opinion.

I agree 100%, just looked at some of my previous benchmarks from last year, at the moment my 7800GTX on Vista is scoring the same points as my 6900GT did last year on XP. Thats a couple hundred quids worth in my opinion :P

It could just be driver issues, even so a drop like that wont encourage me to buy Vista any time soon.

Edited by vomit

even if it is ONLY driver issues, then its still a poor show, especialy as the drivers are for critical system.

nvidia and creative labs drivers for vista certainly seem to suck more than a $2 whore :blushing:

lol

I cant agree more, I think nvidia should stop spending their time on linux, for the time being, direct all that attention to vista, since linux programers might of had to be the smarter of the bunch anyway.

and make vista drivers, that reflect like doom3 at high res high quality did. 85% performance increase.

Edited by gdogg