International versions of Windows needed

Petr

Hello,

as I already mentioned I'm trying to put together all international versions of Windows 9x to be able to prepare all language versions of the service packs.

I have MSDN subscription for several years so I was able to downoad most versions or I have MSDN CD-ROMs, but not for everything.

My MSDN Professional license covers the use of all Microsoft operating systems from DOS 1.0 to Windows Vista in all languages but I'm missing some media.

So I believe is absolutely legal to copy it from sombeody who has them.

I used List of Localized MS Operating Systems to determine what versions exist.

Windows Me - I don't have Chinese (Hong Kong), just Chinese (Simplified) and Chinese (Traditional)

Windows 98SE - I don't have Basque and Catalan

Windows 98 - I don't have Basque, Catalan, Japanese (both PCAT and PC98), Chinese (Traditional) and Thai

Windows 95 - here I have just a few ones:

Retail Full: none

Retail Upgrade: US English, Czech

OEM: US English, Czech, Swedish

OSR1: Swedish

OSR2: US English, Russian

OSR2.1: US English, Czech

OSR2.5: US English, German

I'm mostly interested in Pan-European English versions to see the difference in the core files because the Euro update package contains different GDI.EXE file for US English and different for Pan-European English Windows 95.

(Win95 was produced in Arabic (both enabled and localized), Basque, Brazilian, Catalan, Chinese (Simplified), Chinese (Traditional), Czech, Danish, Dutch, English, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hebrew (both enabled and localized), Hungarian, Italian, Japanese (both PCAT and PC98), Korean, Norwegian, Polish,

Portuguese, Russian, Slovenian, Spanish, Swedish, Thai (enabled only), Turkish, Vietnamese. I'm not sure how it is with Slovak version - it is not on the list, but Y2K update exists: http://download.microsoft.com/download/win...5/SK/w95y2k.exe . On the opposite dide, the Y2K update does not exist for Vietnamese. This list Microsoft Windows 95 International Components does contain Pan-Euro, but does not contain Arabic, Basque, Brazilian, Catalan, Hebrew, Vietnamese and Slovak.

The contents of WIN95, WIN98 or WIN9X folder (without OLS, TOUR subfolders) is sufficient for me, if anybody has the required Windows version but does not want to give it out then I will prepare a script that will just report the file list, versions and checksum.

I need no product keys.

I'm also interested in original, not modified boot floppy and CD-ROM boot records from retail versions of all Win95, Win98, Win98SE, WinMe.

Petr

How would I know whether the Win95 OEM discs I have are US English or Pan-European English ?

On one CD there is printed 0197 Part No 000-59944, on the other there is 0796 Part No 000-45235.

Hi Eidenk, good question but I don't know the answer. And therefore I'm looking for it.

Your part numbers I have found in the list of US versions:

0197 Part no. 000-59944 US 	OSR2.1
0796 Part no. 000-45235 OSR2 without setup.exe

Pan-European English version is also base for the Czech, Greek, Hungarian, Polish, Russian, Slovenian and probably also Vietnamese version - just for languages with single byte character set other than CP1252 and left-to-right writing.

US English version is base for versions that use CP1252 codepage exclusively, i.e. for Basque, Brazilian, Catalan, Danish, Dutch, English, Finnish, French, German, Italian, Norwegian, Portuguese, Spanish and Swedish versions.

Apparently the PanEuropean version contains some additional nls files, keyboard layouts and other font files. For example, larial.ttf (large arial) in US version has 138332 bytes and "contains 653 glyphs and 105 standard kern pairs " while PanEuro Win95 arial.ttf has 143300 bytes and "contains 653 glyphs and 909 standard kern pairs"

This difference was in Win95 only, Win98 and WinMe have the same code base for all a.m. language versions.

Petr

Petr, found: Win95[2] 1297 p/n x03-50348, 0795 p/n 000-04404, will these help?

Thank you for your offer but these seems to be also US English versions:

0795 Part No. 000-04404 - Original Windows 95 OEM, marked "For Distribution Only with a New PC"

1297 Part No. X03-50348 - Version 4.00.950C of Windows 95 Operating System Versions, aka OSR2.5

Petr

Edited by Petr