Info. Links - sfvpack.inf?

hanza

Hello All!

I am relatively new to the forum and would like to say HI!

I have been attempting to do an unattended installation and with full hotfix updates in a certain way, but it seems to be taking alot of patience on my part!

I have a few questions:

1.On the unattended guide - it says all hotfixes "must be installed in numerical order".

Could someone provide a link - to where i could find this instruction in a microsoft knowledgebase article (or help file etc). (I am trying to build up a library of information from the source!).

2. On using windows update - On a fresh install - i get a number of updates say 75% of the final (critical) listed on this website (xp pro sp2 streamed) installed. I then install the optionals - reboot - and hey presto some new critical updates appear! So clearly Windows Update has some sort of order in mind.

So my question is - why put wmp 10 silent install at the top of the svcpack.inf file, and then after it start installing WMP 9.0 hotfixes???

I am a little sonfused and have spent some time browsing the forums getting confused!

3. By the way - on the unattended guide - it references HFNetChk. Yet it is unavaliable on the authors website. Furthermore the last release was quite a few years ago. What does this mean?

From what i have seen.

msfn rocks.

My thanks.

Hanza Rodreguez!

Edited by hanza

You have made me curious ryanvm.

Does this mean that none of the hotfixes are dependant on previous hotfixes being installed first?

And so doeswindows update install them in random order?

It is a little confusing to me! What do ya'll think?

Hanza.

Does this mean that none of the hotfixes are dependant on previous hotfixes being installed first?

AFAIK, this doesn't matter. Hotfixes usually contain all necessary files. The update mechanism guards newer files from being overwritten by older ones. Officially you should always run qchain.exe after installing multiple hotfixes without rebooting every time, but I've never found this necessary.

AFAIK, this doesn't matter. Hotfixes usually contain all necessary files. The update mechanism guards newer files from being overwritten by older ones. Officially you should always run qchain.exe after installing multiple hotfixes without rebooting every time, but I've never found this necessary.

Correct. QChain hasn't been necessary for perhaps 2 years worth of hotfixes (ie most released post 2004 or so). The update mechanism is now built into the hotfix itself.

Installing in order isn't required. Just integrate the servicepack you want into your source install, then integrate all the hotfixes.

Or don't bother and get a WSUS server. :)