windows updates unofficial

pontypool

I am running through the tutorial of how to create an unattended setup of windows with nlite. and now it says I need the update numbers and I have to download the update files seperately (not use auto update) so where can I get these from without having that genuine authentication crap?

his page is great for archiving updates and creating that one huge update to intergrate with. But what about installing an entire list of updates on your existing install of xp? its not really practical to install each individual update there are 230! maybe he could merge them into one installer , just a thought.

his page is great for archiving updates and creating that one huge update to intergrate with. But what about installing an entire list of updates on your existing install of xp? its not really practical to install each individual update there are 230! maybe he could merge them into one installer , just a thought.

Use regular Windows Update for that....microsoft manages it for you.... much easier and simpler.

Or use Windows Updates Downloader to download all the required hotfixes since SP2 (and some other extras as well).

See the OP's previous post to find out why he doesn't want to do that. :)

What do you mean by that? the downloader that he mentioned is very easy because you can check the box and it autmatically installs all the critical updates. although the updates from ryans website and others, just show the huge list of downloads that you have to download and install individually, I just dont understand what point your making.

I do want to integrate the complete list of updates into my unattended disc (im using ryans) but i also wanted to download all the updates on my friends computer right now (without using an unattended disc)

therfore I am integrating ryans windows update pack for my personal unattended disc and I will refer my friend to the windows update downloader mentioned her, so he can update his windows without using windows update online, also I can use the download updater for myself, to top up new updates later.

Does that clarify ?

Edited by pontypool

Just FYI - Windows Updates Downloader does not install the updates for you. You'll need to either install them manually, or write a batch file to install them silently.

It does give you a proper way of downloading the updates themselves so you can get the files straight from the source.

WUD just downloads all required updates since SP2. It doesn't matter if you install updates that you've already got, since it'll just replace files that are already there.

WUD is IMO the best way of having all the critical updates. This doesn't necessarily mean that you have them installed (that's for you to ensure), but you can easily toss the updates onto a CD or USB key and run them on another computer now.

Hi pontypool [are you from there btw? ;)]

If you're new to this stuff then your best bet is to follow the guides and give AutoImage a try [its a GUI of sorts] combined with nlite [component removal], RyanVM's hotfix pack [for the updates] and BTS's DriverPacks [for drivers strangely enough ;)]

Start off with just some of that at a time and you'll be making custom CDs for yourself in no time....

....just remember distributing them is illegal ;)

Cheers

Nath