Having a problem with my OemFilesPath

Kemon

Hey guys i'm new here so correct me if i'm asking this question wrong but here goes.

Ok so i've got 4 computers that i want to image with the same image. I've got 3 dell's. An optiplex GX240, GX270 and an SX280 and then i have 1 HP, a DC7600. So i sysprep them all and modify my sysprep.inf to look like this.

[unattended]

OemSkipEula=Yes

InstallFilesPath=C:\sysprep\i386

DriverSigningPolicy=Ignore

OemPnPDriversPath=drivers\GX270\V;drivers\GX270\A;drivers\GX270\N;drivers\GX240\V;drivers\GX240\A;drivers\GX240\N;drivers\sx280\V;drivers\sx280\A;drivers\sx280\N;drivers\sx280\C;drivers\DC7600\V;drivers\DC7600\A;drivers\DC7600\N

Where A stands for Audio, V for video, n stands for nic, and C stands for chipset. Now the problem i'm having is that it seems like my SX280 is picking up the wrong version of soundmax audio drivers. The 240 and 270 both use soundmax and i'm thinking that it's going down the list of machines and picking up the 240 or 270 drivers and then it never gets to the SX280\a folder because it already found drivers.

In my device manager it's showing that it has soundmax but it has a yellow ! that says device cannot be started. So i tried uninstalling it and rechecked for new hardware. It picks up the audio and somehow puts the right drivers and when i restart it works fine.

So i guess my question is, how can i make it use the SX280\a drivers instead of just using the ones from the 240 or 270? Also i'm trying to do chipsets with the SX280 and that's not working either, I can't seem to figure out how i should put the drivers in the SX280\C folder.

Check the INF files for each of the audio drivers. You will likely find that whichever is the newest has all of the devices in it for the other systems and works for the other also. Likeliy the gx280 would be the newest. Take out the others and just use the newest for all of them.

You will find as your driver list grows you will run into this more and more if you divide them up by machine instead of by device class.

As the previous poster said, see if you can get one driver that supports all of the various soundmax devices.

The other alternative is to (in XPSP2's Device Manager) go to the (bad) Soundmax device, figure out the PnP ID for the device, and then, while looking at the _wrong_ soundmax.inf INF file in the soundmax directory you don't want to use on that machine, do a find for that PnP number, and remove that line from the INF file.

You'd, obviously, do this with the source files on your RIS source or your Sysprep source.

Once this was done, that INF wouldn't then know how to PnP that hardware, so it wouldn't be identified using that driver, so the problem would go away.

I gave that a try before i left work on friday and that didnt' seem to work either, but now that i think about it i'm not entirely sure i put the newest machines soundmax drivers on there... I have quite a few drivers i'll have to double check that. I'll give it a try again on monday.

As a side note i'm also having problems with the chipset drivers on the SX, they seem to not be installing. I went to Dell's site and downloaded the driver and extracted it and just put the whole folder in there, i'm not sure what's going on with that but is it a problem that the inf file's are all in the chipset folder and then the sys files are in a folder within that?

Download the nesest Intel chipset drivers and ditch the drivers from Dell. As a matter of fact if you can do this for any of the drivers I would recommend it. It requires a little more testing but it is well worth the effort. Also before you capture your image go to the windows\inf folder and delete all of the oem*.* files.

I gave that a try before i left work on friday and that didnt' seem to work either, but now that i think about it i'm not entirely sure i put the newest machines soundmax drivers on there... I have quite a few drivers i'll have to double check that. I'll give it a try again on monday.

As a side note i'm also having problems with the chipset drivers on the SX, they seem to not be installing. I went to Dell's site and downloaded the driver and extracted it and just put the whole folder in there, i'm not sure what's going on with that but is it a problem that the inf file's are all in the chipset folder and then the sys files are in a folder within that?

Make sure you read the readme with the chipset drivers - you need to use the ... oh, I think it's /A switch, then go thru the install using that switch, and it will put the chipset drivers into c:\program files\intel or somesuch; you can grab them from there and put them into your sysprep source. This will give you more files than if you simply uncompress the Dell chipset archive.

Bear in mind there are many chipset drivers - you basically need all of them. ICH4, ICH5, ICH6-8, etc...

OK well... i got the chipset drivers from Intel's site. I plop them in my folder and sysprep it. I start the machine back up and it goes through the mini setup and what not, and after it's all done it still has a Yellow ! next to one of the USB componenets, so i say update driver and point it to the chipset folder and it finds the drivers and installs them. I don't understand why it didn't install it the first time if it worked when i did the update.

OK well... i got the chipset drivers from Intel's site. I plop them in my folder and sysprep it. I start the machine back up and it goes through the mini setup and what not, and after it's all done it still has a Yellow ! next to one of the USB componenets, so i say update driver and point it to the chipset folder and it finds the drivers and installs them. I don't understand why it didn't install it the first time if it worked when i did the update.

Post your sysprep.inf file and give me an idea of your directory layout where your drivers are located.

Alright i'm trying one more thing too.. but here's how i have it set up. I'm still really new to this stuff so bare with me.

[unattended]

OemSkipEula=Yes

InstallFilesPath=C:\sysprep\i386

DriverSigningPolicy=Ignore

OemPnPDriversPath=drivers\UD\Audio\Realtek;drivers\UD\Audio\SMX;

drivers\UD\Video\ATI;drivers\UD\Video\Intel;drivers\UD\Video\nvidia;

drivers\UD\Nic\3com;drivers\UD\Nic\Intel;drivers\UD\Nic\Broadcom;drivers\UD\Chipset\Intel

My directory structure is like this

c:\drivers\ud\hardware type\manufacturer.

Example. C:\drivers\UD\Video\ATI

C:\drivers\UD\Chipset\Intel

etc.

I was also wondering about adding OEMPreInstall=yes, what does that do?