3rd party driver problems

I mistakenly posted this in the unattended forum so I am reposting it here now.

I have been having a problem getting 3rd party device drivers to work on my RIS server. I have tried several client images and have configured the RIS server from scratch twice now. Every time I get to just after the CIW and receive the error: Operating system image does not contain the nessisary drivers for your network adapter.

Here is a copy of my sif file. The drivers are in the $oem$\$1\dell\drivers folder under, not IN the i386 folder. I flattened the driver folder out so all of the files like inf cab and cat files are located in the same folder.

I can't think of anything else to do. I would greatly appreciate any help I could recieve on this. We have a lot of laptops to image and this would save us a whole lot of man hours.

Thank you

[data]

floppyless = "1"

msdosinitiated = "1"

OriSrc = "\\%SERVERNAME%\RemInst\%INSTALLPATH%\%MACHINETYPE%"

OriTyp = "4"

LocalSourceOnCD = 1

DisableAdminAccountOnDomainJoin = 1

[setupData]

OsLoadOptions = "/noguiboot /fastdetect"

SetupSourceDevice ="\Device\LanmanRedirector\%SERVERNAME%\RemInst\%INSTALLPATH%"

SysPrepDevice="\Device\LanmanRedirector\%SERVERNAME%\RemInst\%SYSPREPPATH%"

SysPrepDriversDevice="\Device\LanmanRedirector\%SERVERNAME%\RemInst\%SYSPREPDRIVERS%"

[unattended]

OemPreinstall = yes

FileSystem = LeaveAlone

ExtendOEMPartition = 0

TargetPath = \WINDOWS

OemSkipEula = yes

InstallFilesPath = "\\%SERVERNAME%\RemInst\%INSTALLPATH%\%MACHINETYPE%"

oempnpdriverspath=\windows\dell\drivers\nic;\windows\dell\drivers\video;\windows\dell\drivers\chipset

LegacyNIC = 1

repartition=yes

unattendedmode=readonly

unattendedswitch=yes

[userData]

FullName = "%USERFIRSTNAME% %USERLASTNAME%"

OrgName = "%ORGNAME%"

ComputerName ="%MACHINENAME%"

productid= xxxx-bla bla bla

[GuiUnattended]

OemSkipWelcome = 1

OemSkipRegional = 1

TimeZone = %TIMEZONE%

AdminPassword = "mypassword"

[Display]

BitsPerPel = 16

XResolution = 800

YResolution = 600

VRefresh = 60

[Networking]

[NetServices]

MS_Server=params.MS_PSched

[identification]

JoinDomain = %MACHINEDOMAIN%

DoOldStyleDomainJoin = Yes

[RemoteInstall]

Repartition = Yes

UseWholeDisk = Yes

I tried to change the line...

oempnpdriverspath=\windows\dell\drivers\nic\b44win.inf;\windows\dell\drivers\nic\bcm4sbxp.sys;\windows\dell\drivers\video;\windows\dell\drivers\chipset

...with no luck. I know that the CIW is seeing the sif file because if I change the spelling in the discription it is reflected in the CIW. It is just not pointing to the drivers correctly I think. It is probably a simple error I am just not seeing it.

Have u placed the corresponding driver files (*.inf and *.sys) in the image i386 directory? 99 of 100 times, there is something with the *.inf file that u have placed in the i386 directory. Check for an error in the Event Viewer, BINLSVC source, stating something like: "BINLSVC found an error parsing an .inf file"

Check if the manufacturer has supplíed a custom *.inf file to the driver download for RIS installs...

I have the INF and SYS files in the i386 directory and I changed it the way broadcom's site said. The event viewer does give me an error that states problem parsing netclass.inf in the manufacturer portion. This does not make any since to me because the netclass.inf is unaltered. I did have to change a line under [manufacturer] in the nic driver inf but I don't understand how the two relate.

Thanks for the help,

• 2 weeks later...