Configuration set

Hello !

I made several unattended Vista installations with an answerfile and now, I try to use the configuration set walkthrough, but it didn't work for me.

I put some files in my E:\MyDistrib\$OEM$ Folders

Add the synchronous command in the answer file

Validate the answer file

And then, create the configuration Set.

I now have an autounattend.xml file and a AutoUnattend_Files folder, but nothing in it

So, I'd like to know if somebody successfuly use the configuration set.

Thank you

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Stephane,

I've got nearly the same result. This is my Target Folder created by Create Configuration Set:

$OEM$-Folder

AutoUnattended_Files-Folder

AutoUnattended.xml

BUT I've noticed that the AutoUnattended.xml in the target Folder has one more tag than the "original" one:

<UseConfigurationSet>true</UseConfigurationSet>

It seems to me that all the Create-Configuration-Set-Comand is doing is moving all the Distribution Folders and the AutoUnattended.xml to one Folder and adding the tag to the AutoUnattended.xml.

I will run a Setup with this Configuration Set the next few days.

Martin

Edited by FireGeier

...I remember reading somewhere in the WAIK that $OEM$ was still valid but not desired for Vista.

Well, we just followed the walkthrough "Build a Configuration Set" from the WAIK-User Guide (Custumization Walkthroughs). And if you do that, you will have a Distibution Share including an $OEM$ Folder. So it should work. And my distribution share is not containing any folders which would not be supported by Vista. I've checked that User Guide.

A Configuration Set is at least an answering file plus a Distribution Share. And part of the Distribution Share is an $OEM$-Folder. The benefit of a Configuration Set is that it is smaller than a usual Distribution Share. So it supposed to be compressed anyway. :unsure:

All these informations are from the WAIK-User Guide. I know that everything is still BETA. So it will may not work yet. :unsure:

Thanks,

Martin

Update:

Could not get the Configuration Set unattended Installation to work so far...

Edited by FireGeier

• 2 weeks later...

Configurtation Set is working now for me. Still using Vista RC1 and the newest BDD from 10-03-2006.

Nothing is compressed, but I can use it with USB stick.

I would be still interested to know how Windows Setup is mounting the removable media like cd and usb. If it would use environment variables, they could be used to install directly from removable media instead of copying everything to HD first.

Martin

I don't ckick the Create Config Set, all you need is the <UseConfigurationSet>true</UseConfigurationSet in

<settings pass="windowsPE">

then simply ,make your $OEM$ sub's same as for xp. Read the deploy.chm to see which have been dropped - a lot.

environment variables do work with it. I then can do the FOR %%d IN (c: d: e: f: and run everything from the dvd but have the oem to position certain things instead of separate cmds

EDIT: CORRECTION

<component name="Microsoft-Windows-Setup"

<UseConfigurationSet>true</UseConfigurationSet>

Edited by maxXPsoft