Enron vs dell

RJM

I've never bought from newegg (I'm not in the USA). I agree that they do overchage a great deal on upgrades (want to replace that 200GB HD for a 300? We'll charge you the price of the 300 and keep the 200!) But they do have some unbeatable deals like I've mentionned before. Yes, make a high-end system, it'll be cheaper to build it yourself (especially since labor is essentially free), but for a basic business machine, it's almost impossible to make it yourself for cheaper like the linked article shows (just the cost of windows alone sets you back like 100$ more instantly - now try to match the 500$ box with only 400$ to buy the HW). They very often have rebates too - some are pretty sweet. And a lot of companies buy in large quantities and get very good discounts.

What about memory intensive apps (there are LOTS of these - photoshop, visual studio, development databases, firefox, etc), heavy multitasking, future-proofing, etc? And it's not like they don't come with 2GB by default either (and most people don't choose it, either). All my PCs are loaded with RAM, but for the most part it's rather generic stuff (last batch was Samsung PC2-4200), and I'm quite pleased with it (next batch is going to be pretty much "average latency" stuff too). The point is to avoid heavy swapping (which slows down any computer tremendously - hard disks aren't exactly fast RAM), not to get a little extra memory bandwidth by paying a hefty premium for some lower latency.

There's NOTHING they could do that would make the other 5% potential buyers happy. They'd carry brand name RAM, someone else would not like it and want another brand (OCZ vs Crucial vs whatever). They'd carry lower latency RAM, some folks would still say that's not low enough (e.g. that DDR2 6400 just HAS to be CAS3). They'd also need to carry a large selection of OC-friendly SLI motherboards from every price point for every socket, a wide selection of CPUs to fit those (including some high end stuff), dozens of different video cards, 63 different power supplies, etc.

And all that [large] inventory of expensive parts devaluates very fast. One month sitting on a shelf * a lot of parts = a LOT of $ (millions in their case). It takes a lot of warehouse space and logistics/supply chain management too. They'd have to create dozens and dozens of new different configurations, all with custom options, test all these, adapt the production chains, etc.

In the end, they'd cost an arm and a leg, and nobody would like nor buy 'em regardless, and they'd likely make very little profit from it (if any). So they decided to focus on the remaining 95% potential customers and make those happy - and for the most part, they are.

There's really nothing wrong with Dell. You're just part of that other 5%.

thank you. i was gonna make a long post - but since you beat me to it...

I will probably never own another Dell, but I own an Inspiron 1100 laptop, and it runs great, no complaints. As for the desktops, once again I'll never own one, but I have no complaints with them either. I run a computer repair shop in the Dallas area, and I have to say that Dell is the easiest machine to work on. The service tag makes it effortless to find all the drivers you need.

My biggest problem with Dell is their misleading advertising. Remember back when they had that $299 Dimension 2400? My mom bought that as a new family PC (without consulting me, the tech guru of the house). The ads didn't say that the Celeron is one of the worst processors of it's day, and 128 MB of RAM is hardly enough to run Windows XP (which is what it was shipped with). So, I guess everyone speaking of Dell's 'target audience' is talking about people that don't know s*** about computers.

Dell's target isn't idiots. It's people who want good value in a rather generic PC with half decent support. Nothing more.

And no, I haven't heard about whatever deal she bought her Dell from (I just don't memorize those things). But I bet she got her 300$'s worth. Quite frankly, I don't know what you're expecting to get at that price. Celerons aren't that bad for basic office work and such (not like she was buying a gaming rig at that price - clearly a "value" machine), and it seems more than sufficient really (some Dimension 2400 actually shipped with P4s). And as the reviews I've seen on the web shows, it normally ships with 256MB, which wasn't all THAT bad for a low end PC that's more than a couple years old (and again, cheap upgrade). I'd like to see you build one from new parts yourself, with a Genuine copy of windows for that much (you likely have ~200$ left to buy all the hardware), and see how much better and faster your rig is. The DDR2 I was considering for my Core 2 Duo rig cost more than 300$ per GB. You got a whole computer for less than that, I don't know what you were expecting.

That's like buying a new car for less than one buys a new engine for, and complaining it doesn't have 350BHP. Misleading advertizing for sure...

What I was trying to say was that my mother (not knowing anything about computers) just thought it was a good deal because that's what the commercial told her. I'm saying that in my opinion, Dell takes advantage of people who don't know anything about computers except how to check their e-mail, and sells them a cheap computer knowingly.

What I was trying to say was that my mother (not knowing anything about computers) just thought it was a good deal because that's what the commercial told her. I'm saying that in my opinion, Dell takes advantage of people who don't know anything about computers except how to check their e-mail, and sells them a cheap computer knowingly.

Does she ever have any problems checking her email on her cheap computer? If not then I'd call it a deal.

Does she ever have any problems checking her email on her cheap computer? If not then I'd call it a deal.

Couldn't have said better. Selling low end systems to folks with very minimal needs like checking email only... Nothing wrong with that.

rofl, owned.