Running a windows webserver , organization issue

treydock

I have a website, and I like to develop on a test website. Now I'm moving my things all around and remaking my network setup, not sure if this quetsion poses a functional possibilty of it's just simply astheics.

my webdonmain , http://ultimazerosector.com , nowin my network i want people to be able to type in that address and go to that address (currectly using SME server and squid gets in the way). I'd also like ti to be that address with /testsector ... for the test site only on intranet, also maybe other intranet and test sites for development. What would I have to do to get IIS to do that? I have 2 sites comeing from one cpu but accessing them in the network is a pane.

Half way sleep , hope those are close enough to senteces.

Thank You

Trey

Well, there's nothing preventing you from making a testsector directory and putting your testing stuff in there. Not that I recommend putting test stuff on your production server, but if you're willing to take the risk of test stuff taking down your whole server... You call. You could also do URL rewriting using a HTTP module.

Not sure of what you mean about squid... Gets in the way of (something?) how?

As for development, that should NEVER happen on your production server - EVER. There's NO excuses for that. The developers can use their local IIS on their own boxes for that (2k pro or xp pro) - even if IIS is crippled, it's still sufficient. Even if it wasn't for that, there's other test servers (like the testing one in VS that's based on cassini that works quite well).